Feb 4, 2011, 12:53 PM EDT
The league decided to hand Boston Bruins forward Daniel Paille a four-game suspension for his blindside hit on Dallas Stars winger Ray Sawada. The NHL argues that Paille violated Rule 48, making it the fourth suspension based on players breaking the new rule on head shots from the blindside.
Missing four games without pay will cost Paille $23,118.28 in salary, according to the league.
Former PHT editor Brandon Worley called it one of the “worst hits” of the 2010-11 season. It’s hard to argue that the check was one of the uglier moments in recent weeks, whether Sawada ends up missing any time or not. (For more discussion regarding the hit, click here.)
It’s good that the NHL is cracking down on these hits, but it doesn’t really seem to cut down on dangerous checks like these. Perhaps the league simply needs to make punishments far more harsh? A four-game suspension is regrettable, but maybe the only way to get through to some players is to bump it closer to 10 games.
The bottom line is that something needs to be done about these hits. Check out video footage of the hit below.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)