Feb 4, 2011, 12:53 PM EST
The league decided to hand Boston Bruins forward Daniel Paille a four-game suspension for his blindside hit on Dallas Stars winger Ray Sawada. The NHL argues that Paille violated Rule 48, making it the fourth suspension based on players breaking the new rule on head shots from the blindside.
Missing four games without pay will cost Paille $23,118.28 in salary, according to the league.
Former PHT editor Brandon Worley called it one of the “worst hits” of the 2010-11 season. It’s hard to argue that the check was one of the uglier moments in recent weeks, whether Sawada ends up missing any time or not. (For more discussion regarding the hit, click here.)
It’s good that the NHL is cracking down on these hits, but it doesn’t really seem to cut down on dangerous checks like these. Perhaps the league simply needs to make punishments far more harsh? A four-game suspension is regrettable, but maybe the only way to get through to some players is to bump it closer to 10 games.
The bottom line is that something needs to be done about these hits. Check out video footage of the hit below.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 9
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 14
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)