Feb 4, 2011, 12:53 PM EDT
The league decided to hand Boston Bruins forward Daniel Paille a four-game suspension for his blindside hit on Dallas Stars winger Ray Sawada. The NHL argues that Paille violated Rule 48, making it the fourth suspension based on players breaking the new rule on head shots from the blindside.
Missing four games without pay will cost Paille $23,118.28 in salary, according to the league.
Former PHT editor Brandon Worley called it one of the “worst hits” of the 2010-11 season. It’s hard to argue that the check was one of the uglier moments in recent weeks, whether Sawada ends up missing any time or not. (For more discussion regarding the hit, click here.)
It’s good that the NHL is cracking down on these hits, but it doesn’t really seem to cut down on dangerous checks like these. Perhaps the league simply needs to make punishments far more harsh? A four-game suspension is regrettable, but maybe the only way to get through to some players is to bump it closer to 10 games.
The bottom line is that something needs to be done about these hits. Check out video footage of the hit below.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 53
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 42
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 46
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)