Feb 4, 2011, 12:10 AM EST
Colorado hadn’t played a game in more than a week and it showed tonight. The Avalanche allowed two goals in the game’s opening minute (OK, 61 seconds) before giving the Wild a run for their money. This marks Minnesota’s sixth win in seven games, reinforcing the fact that there just isn’t much certainty in the West.
Andrew Brunette scored two goals, Kyle Brodziak scored the opener and Pierre-Marc Bouchard earned the game winner for Minnesota. Milan Hejduk scored two goals of his own for Colorado, while Chris Stewart also found the twine.
Earlier today, I referred to the Dallas Stars’ decision to quickly yank Andrew Raycroft as “pulling a Jose Theodore” but that was a little unfair. After all, Raycroft has been pulling a Theodore in a different way this season by being a great backup. Theo helped the Wild win by making 38 out of 41 saves in this one. Craig Anderson allowed two more goals after those two quick ones in the first minute of the game.
Minnesota is now in seventh place with 59 points and 27 wins in 51 games played. Colorado is already down to 12th, despite only being three points behind at 56 (with 25 wins in 51 games).
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)