Feb 4, 2011, 9:20 PM EST
As part of the Lightning’s big push to both change the look of things in Tampa Bay on and off the ice, they’ve reached back into the team’s history to add to their front office. Stanley Cup winning captain Dave Andreychuk and team founder Phil Esposito have been named to different vice president positions with the Lightning. Esposito will be the vice president of corporate relations while Andreychuk gets the curious title of vice president of fans.
Esposito has been a lifetime member of the Lightning having been there since the team was born in 1992. Esposito was the team president and general manager from 1992-1998. Andreychuk was the team’s captain the year the Lightning won the Stanley Cup in 2004. Saying he’s a guy the fans get along well with automatically would be very correct.
Still, we wonder what in the world the vice president of fans will do. Is there a president of fans as well or is that just automatically Steve Stamkos or Martin St. Louis? Our guess is that Andreychuk will continue to do a lot of public appearances and resume getting beers bought for him by thankful Lightning fans. That sounds like a pretty good job actually.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)