Feb 4, 2011, 9:20 PM EDT
As part of the Lightning’s big push to both change the look of things in Tampa Bay on and off the ice, they’ve reached back into the team’s history to add to their front office. Stanley Cup winning captain Dave Andreychuk and team founder Phil Esposito have been named to different vice president positions with the Lightning. Esposito will be the vice president of corporate relations while Andreychuk gets the curious title of vice president of fans.
Esposito has been a lifetime member of the Lightning having been there since the team was born in 1992. Esposito was the team president and general manager from 1992-1998. Andreychuk was the team’s captain the year the Lightning won the Stanley Cup in 2004. Saying he’s a guy the fans get along well with automatically would be very correct.
Still, we wonder what in the world the vice president of fans will do. Is there a president of fans as well or is that just automatically Steve Stamkos or Martin St. Louis? Our guess is that Andreychuk will continue to do a lot of public appearances and resume getting beers bought for him by thankful Lightning fans. That sounds like a pretty good job actually.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 7
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 32
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 6
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6