Feb 4, 2011, 9:20 PM EDT
As part of the Lightning’s big push to both change the look of things in Tampa Bay on and off the ice, they’ve reached back into the team’s history to add to their front office. Stanley Cup winning captain Dave Andreychuk and team founder Phil Esposito have been named to different vice president positions with the Lightning. Esposito will be the vice president of corporate relations while Andreychuk gets the curious title of vice president of fans.
Esposito has been a lifetime member of the Lightning having been there since the team was born in 1992. Esposito was the team president and general manager from 1992-1998. Andreychuk was the team’s captain the year the Lightning won the Stanley Cup in 2004. Saying he’s a guy the fans get along well with automatically would be very correct.
Still, we wonder what in the world the vice president of fans will do. Is there a president of fans as well or is that just automatically Steve Stamkos or Martin St. Louis? Our guess is that Andreychuk will continue to do a lot of public appearances and resume getting beers bought for him by thankful Lightning fans. That sounds like a pretty good job actually.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)