Feb 4, 2011, 9:20 PM EDT
As part of the Lightning’s big push to both change the look of things in Tampa Bay on and off the ice, they’ve reached back into the team’s history to add to their front office. Stanley Cup winning captain Dave Andreychuk and team founder Phil Esposito have been named to different vice president positions with the Lightning. Esposito will be the vice president of corporate relations while Andreychuk gets the curious title of vice president of fans.
Esposito has been a lifetime member of the Lightning having been there since the team was born in 1992. Esposito was the team president and general manager from 1992-1998. Andreychuk was the team’s captain the year the Lightning won the Stanley Cup in 2004. Saying he’s a guy the fans get along well with automatically would be very correct.
Still, we wonder what in the world the vice president of fans will do. Is there a president of fans as well or is that just automatically Steve Stamkos or Martin St. Louis? Our guess is that Andreychuk will continue to do a lot of public appearances and resume getting beers bought for him by thankful Lightning fans. That sounds like a pretty good job actually.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18