Feb 4, 2011, 8:25 PM EDT
He was making his triumphant return to the lineup for Pittsburgh tonight, but Evgeni Malkin‘s evening was cut short.
After missing multiple games and the All-Star Game with a sinus infection and a troublesome knee, Malkin left tonight’s game early after getting his knee tangled up with Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers. Malkin left the ice gingerly and went to the locker room to be attended to. Malkin will not be returning to the game tonight and now the collective breath of the Penguins will be held waiting to see what the diagnosis is on his injury. The team is listing it as a lower body injury but it seemed clear on replay that it was his knee that was hurt.
Without Crosby and without Malkin the Penguins offense hasn’t been its usual dynamic self. With no timetable on Crosby’s return, Malkin’s comeback tonight was the offensive lift the team was hoping for. Now they’ll have to sweat it out again hoping Malkin isn’t seriously injured.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12