Feb 4, 2011, 8:25 PM EST
He was making his triumphant return to the lineup for Pittsburgh tonight, but Evgeni Malkin‘s evening was cut short.
After missing multiple games and the All-Star Game with a sinus infection and a troublesome knee, Malkin left tonight’s game early after getting his knee tangled up with Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers. Malkin left the ice gingerly and went to the locker room to be attended to. Malkin will not be returning to the game tonight and now the collective breath of the Penguins will be held waiting to see what the diagnosis is on his injury. The team is listing it as a lower body injury but it seemed clear on replay that it was his knee that was hurt.
Without Crosby and without Malkin the Penguins offense hasn’t been its usual dynamic self. With no timetable on Crosby’s return, Malkin’s comeback tonight was the offensive lift the team was hoping for. Now they’ll have to sweat it out again hoping Malkin isn’t seriously injured.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 62
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (144)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)