Feb 4, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
While the New York Islanders might be the unluckiest team in the NHL, the St. Louis Blues haven’t been far behind them. Both teams have been slapped around by injuries and aborted waiver claims alike.
The difference is that the Blues actually have an outside shot at making the playoffs, something that will be improved by the return of valuable center Andy McDonald. He is expected to make his return to the lineup after suffering from concussion issues for exactly two months. He actually suffered the injury from an unlucky hit against the team he’s playing against tonight, as he was caught awkwardly by Edmonton Oilers forward Shawn Horcoff on December 4th.
McDonald missed 24 games so far this season, almost half of the Blues’ 2010-11 campaign. In the 25 games he managed to play, he has been a solid guy in the faceoff circle and scored nine goals and eight assists for 17 points.
The Blues pivot says he doesn’t just want to ease in to the contests, as St. Louis needs every win it can get right now. We’ll see if that works out, because there’s no question that some players have struggled when trying to return from post-concussion syndrome.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 22
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 18
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 46
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PBT: Spurs rally to beat Grizzlies in OT, take 3-0 lead
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic