Feb 4, 2011, 5:10 PM EST
Here are previews for tonight’s six games. As always, all start times according to Eastern Standard Time (ET).
Florida @ New Jersey
It seems like the Devils just won’t lay down and take their first high draft pick since the days when HBO aired new episodes of “The Larry Sanders Show,” will they? Talk about late to the party. They shouldn’t consult the Panthers for tanking advice, though; Florida specializes in landing in playoff/draft pick purgatory, after all.
Buffalo @ Pittsburgh
Two teams trending up despite missing important centers (Derek Roy for the Sabres, Sidney Crosby for the Penguins) face off in this one. Evgeni Malkin is expected to make his comeback tonight, so it’ll be interesting to see how the talented but struggling pivot fares.
Columbus @ Detroit
Interesting stat: the West’s second ranked Red Wings have a +25 goal differential while the West’s second-to-last team the Blue Jackets have a -25 goal differential. Take a wild guess which team is most likely to win.
Washington @ Tampa Bay
In case you haven’t heard this numerous times already: the Lightning have shut out the Capitals twice in a row right now. Dwayne Roloson hasn’t allowed a goal in nearly 129 minutes against Alex Ovechkin & Co. Tampa Bay owns a five point (and three win) lead over Washington for the Southeast Division lead, as Guy Boucher’s bunch are on a six game winning streak while Bruce Boudreau’s Capitals have lost three in a row.
I agree with Japer’s Rink that it isn’t a must-win game, but considering the cushion the Lightning can build on their epic homestand, it certainly falls in the “would-surely-be-very-nice-to-win” category.
Edmonton @ St. Louis
The good news for the Blues: Andy McDonald is back. The other good news: they’re at home. The bad news: Jaroslav Halak won’t play. The team is called the Blues, though, right? I guess this is to be expected.
Chicago @ Vancouver
Something tells me the Canucks would love nothing less than to make it that much more difficult for their hated rivals to make the playoffs. Something tells me that more than a few stomachs would turn in Vancouver if they drew the Blackhawks in the first round, after all.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)