Feb 3, 2011, 9:00 AM EST
The Atlanta Thrashers are going from one of the absolute surprise success stories of the NHL to a team whose playoff hopes are dwindling rapidly. They are currently in eighth place but face some serious competition for that spot from the Carolina Hurricanes, Buffalo Sabres and Florida Panthers.
That wouldn’t be that big of a deal if it weren’t for the fact that they are facing some serious struggles right now.
The Thrashers have gone 5-9-4 in their last 17 games since a 4-2 loss to the St. Louis Blues on December 21st. The most troubling sign is that Dustin Byfuglien’s amazing season has gone cold. The big winger-defenseman hybrid has gone 11 games without a single point after scoring 41 in his first 42 games.
It seems like the Thrashers are failing to win, and worse yet, they’re struggling to maintain the edge-of-their-seats pace that helped them become a dangerous team. General manager Rick Dudley told Chris Vivlamore that he might consider making a trade or two if the team doesn’t show signs of life soon.
“I’m not going to jeopardize the long-term future of the organization for the short-term gain. But if there is something that makes sense in both of those cases, long term and short term, we would do that for sure.”
Dudley said he is concerned with the commitment to winning and the loss of tempo the team displayed during a 10-2 streak earlier this season that included wins over Washington, Detroit, Colorado and Boston.
“The people that are here can in some way, shape or form make that decision for us,” Dudley said. “If they play like they did [Tuesday] night, it’s an easy decision. If they play at the level we were at once when we had a tempo that was second to none in the league they make that decision for you because then they are good enough. We have to make decisions on what we see. What we’ve seen so far is that we are not there yet.”
If you ask me, the Thrashers seemed like they cut in line in their development this season. That being said, it would be a big disappointment if they ended up being a mere flash in the pan after going on such a hot streak earlier this season.
We’ll keep you up to date regarding whatever moves they – or any other NHL team – might or might not make as the trade deadline approaches.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 27
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 35
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 77
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)