Feb 3, 2011, 12:47 AM EST
For a recap of the Pittsburgh Penguins’ 3-0 win over the New York Islanders and video of Brent Johnson’s one-punch knockout of Rick DiPietro, click here. Here are recaps of the other five games.
Johan Franzen scored as many goals as the Senators in this one, as he collected a career-best five in this one. Henrik Zetterberg was a big part of his Swedish teammate’s night, earning the primary assist on three of those goals. The Senators did their fair share of scoring too, as Milan Michalek lead the way for Ottawa with two goals.
Jimmy Howard didn’t have a great night, but at least he made it through the whole game. The same cannot be said for Robin Lehner, who eventually was pulled for Brian Elliott.
There was a while there when it looked like the Habs might fall out of the playoff picture, but they are now a solid 9-2-3 in their last 14 games. Meanwhile the Panthers are watching their playoff hopes fade as they’ve lost both of their games coming out of the all-star break.
The Kings are now 1-0-1 in the first two games of what could be a make-or-break 10 game road run. They won’t play again until Saturday, so winning this game should improve their spirits considerably.
Magnus Paajarvi scored the opening goal, but the Kings scored three unanswered tallies, with Ryan Smyth tying and then winning it while Jack Johnson earned an insurance marker. Ales Hemsky failed to score a point in his return, but played a little more than 20 minutes.
The Canucks earned their fourth win a row, putting them four points ahead of the Flyers for the top spot in the NHL. While Vancouver is prospering, the Coyotes are watching what looked like a semi-comfortable playoff spot after losing two games in a row in two very different ways.
Roberto Luongo earned a shutout with 23 saves while Ryan Kesler scored two goals and four other Canucks filled the net.
While the Canucks pounded the Coyotes, the Sharks earned a come from behind victory against Phoenix last night. They nearly allowed a similar thing to happen to them tonight, as they almost coughed up a 3-0 lead to the Ducks but held on for their second win a row. To underscore the constant upheaval in the West, San Jose is now in fifth place.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)