Feb 3, 2011, 1:36 PM EDT
A little bit of good news and bad news for the Penguins this afternoon. Today they find out that Evgeni Malkin will make his return to the Penguins lineup for Friday’s game against Buffalo. Malkin missed the last few games with a sinus infection and trouble in his knee. For the Penguins, getting Malkin back helps give a boost to their offense that was severely lacking without both himself and Sidney Crosby out. The past few times Malkin has sat out with injuries, his return has resulted with instant offensive results as getting the rest and getting healthy gives a boost to his game.
The roster juggle to get Malkin back in was made easier today with the bad news about Mark Letestu‘s injury. Letestu will be undergoing meniscus surgery on his knee and will be out 4-6 weeks. Letestu has been an important depth contributor to the Penguins lineup this season but his absence may be softened thanks to the play of Dustin Jeffrey. Jeffrey was called up from the AHL to fill Letestu’s place and he’s played well since returning including a big game against the Rangers on Tuesday in which he scored a goal and got the shootout winner as well.
Getting that production from Jeffrey and getting Malkin back should help give the Penguins an offensive lift. They can use the help as they’re not quite the dynamic offensive show they are without Crosby.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)