Feb 3, 2011, 1:36 PM EDT
A little bit of good news and bad news for the Penguins this afternoon. Today they find out that Evgeni Malkin will make his return to the Penguins lineup for Friday’s game against Buffalo. Malkin missed the last few games with a sinus infection and trouble in his knee. For the Penguins, getting Malkin back helps give a boost to their offense that was severely lacking without both himself and Sidney Crosby out. The past few times Malkin has sat out with injuries, his return has resulted with instant offensive results as getting the rest and getting healthy gives a boost to his game.
The roster juggle to get Malkin back in was made easier today with the bad news about Mark Letestu‘s injury. Letestu will be undergoing meniscus surgery on his knee and will be out 4-6 weeks. Letestu has been an important depth contributor to the Penguins lineup this season but his absence may be softened thanks to the play of Dustin Jeffrey. Jeffrey was called up from the AHL to fill Letestu’s place and he’s played well since returning including a big game against the Rangers on Tuesday in which he scored a goal and got the shootout winner as well.
Getting that production from Jeffrey and getting Malkin back should help give the Penguins an offensive lift. They can use the help as they’re not quite the dynamic offensive show they are without Crosby.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 23
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)