Feb 3, 2011, 6:01 PM EDT
When Tampa Bay put Mike Smith on waivers yesterday, you knew things were going bad for the oft-injured former starting goalie. He missed chunks of time this season, like in previous seasons, with injuries and now with Dwayne Roloson around seizing the starting job, Smith was squeezed out of the mix.
Today, Smith cleared waivers and appears headed to the AHL to join the Norfolk Admirals. While the demotion helps Norfolk as Cedrick Desjardins is hurt there, for Smith it’s a tough blow. Smith is in the final year of his contract and set to become an unrestricted free agent next year. It was thought that the Islanders might think about claiming him, but it turned out they’d had their fill with goalie waiver drama with Evgeni Nabokov and wouldn’t pursue Smith.
Smith headed into this season competing with Dan Ellis for the starting job but both goalies went through fits of inconsistency leading to the Lightning starting off slowly. Now with Roloson in place and the team on top of the Southeast Division, Smith and his slightly larger contract are destined for the AHL.
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 0
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 10
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 21
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 11
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 67
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 23
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination