Feb 3, 2011, 9:00 PM EDT
It makes sense that the Philadelphia Flyers and Anaheim Ducks are among the three or four teams who expressed interest in the possible (and courageous) NHL comeback of goalie Ray Emery.
After all, each team received an up close and personal account of the fiery goalie during his healthier days. Emery’s most recent NHL season came with the Flyers in 2009-10, as his campaign was cut short by that hip injury and the surgery it necessitated. (It’s kind of hard to believe that was only a season ago, right?)
The Ducks, meanwhile, played against Emery in the Stanley Cup finals when he was a member of the Ottawa Senators. While Anaheim more or less dominated Ottawa in that series, Emery played well in those contests and was fantastic during that playoff run in general.
Philadelphia always seems interested in adding some depth to its goaltending position, so it makes sense that they might be inquiring about their former starter. Anaheim would make it even more sense, though, since they are making Jonas Hiller start almost every game thanks to their shaky backup Curtis McElhinney. Hiller already played in 47 games so far, the second highest total of his career (his highest mark is 59, a total he’s likely to pass).
The third rumored team wasn’t named, so let the speculation begin. Was it his old squad in Ottawa? Maybe the constant goalie rumor targets in Long Island? Maybe the Detroit Red Wings are willing to give him a shot? Feel free to debate the mystery team’s identity in the comments. (Although other reports indicate there might be four teams in the mix. How exciting.)
We’ll let you know if any of those Emery flirtations amount to something more substantial. For those of you still suffering from Evgeni Nabokov Waiver Claim Disorder, relax; he didn’t play overseas this season so if a team signs him, he’ll be on their roster.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 20
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)