Feb 3, 2011, 10:00 PM EST
Pity any Boston Bruins fans who arrived at the game late and tough news for any hockey fans who flipped to the game after its first 80 seconds, because they missed one of the most action-packed openings you’ll ever see in hockey game between the Bruins and the Dallas Stars.
Gregory Campbell fought Steve Ott one second in. The puck barely dropped again before Shawn Thornton and Krys Barch fought. The third fight in four seconds happened when Brian Sutherby and Adam McQuaid dropped the gloves.
Then Milan Lucic scored just 35 seconds in the game, followed by a Patrice Bergeron goal at the 1:20 mark. In less that a minute and a half, former Bruins goalie/Calder Trophy winner Andrew Raycroft was already pulled from the game. Raycroft did a Jose Theodore impression in the game, getting yanked after allowing two goals on two shots.
The Bruins ended up taking a four goal lead into the game’s first intermission. Dallas actually scored the game’s next three goals to bring the score to 4-3 about three and a half minutes into the third period, but Boston held on. Tyler Seguin ended up scoring the insurance goal before Brad Marchand scored an empty-netter.
Bergeron scored two goals and added an assist, Marchand compiled two helpers to go with his empty-netter while Mark Recchi earned three assists. Tuukka Rask earned the win by stopping 29 out of 32 shots while Kari Lehtonen allowed three goals on 31 shots in relief for Raycroft.
This win solidifies the Bruins’ Northeast Division lead while the Stars remain first in the Pacific. Here is a video of that crazy first 1:20.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)