Feb 3, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
Pity any Boston Bruins fans who arrived at the game late and tough news for any hockey fans who flipped to the game after its first 80 seconds, because they missed one of the most action-packed openings you’ll ever see in hockey game between the Bruins and the Dallas Stars.
Gregory Campbell fought Steve Ott one second in. The puck barely dropped again before Shawn Thornton and Krys Barch fought. The third fight in four seconds happened when Brian Sutherby and Adam McQuaid dropped the gloves.
Then Milan Lucic scored just 35 seconds in the game, followed by a Patrice Bergeron goal at the 1:20 mark. In less that a minute and a half, former Bruins goalie/Calder Trophy winner Andrew Raycroft was already pulled from the game. Raycroft did a Jose Theodore impression in the game, getting yanked after allowing two goals on two shots.
The Bruins ended up taking a four goal lead into the game’s first intermission. Dallas actually scored the game’s next three goals to bring the score to 4-3 about three and a half minutes into the third period, but Boston held on. Tyler Seguin ended up scoring the insurance goal before Brad Marchand scored an empty-netter.
Bergeron scored two goals and added an assist, Marchand compiled two helpers to go with his empty-netter while Mark Recchi earned three assists. Tuukka Rask earned the win by stopping 29 out of 32 shots while Kari Lehtonen allowed three goals on 31 shots in relief for Raycroft.
This win solidifies the Bruins’ Northeast Division lead while the Stars remain first in the Pacific. Here is a video of that crazy first 1:20.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)