Feb 3, 2011, 10:00 PM EST
Pity any Boston Bruins fans who arrived at the game late and tough news for any hockey fans who flipped to the game after its first 80 seconds, because they missed one of the most action-packed openings you’ll ever see in hockey game between the Bruins and the Dallas Stars.
Gregory Campbell fought Steve Ott one second in. The puck barely dropped again before Shawn Thornton and Krys Barch fought. The third fight in four seconds happened when Brian Sutherby and Adam McQuaid dropped the gloves.
Then Milan Lucic scored just 35 seconds in the game, followed by a Patrice Bergeron goal at the 1:20 mark. In less that a minute and a half, former Bruins goalie/Calder Trophy winner Andrew Raycroft was already pulled from the game. Raycroft did a Jose Theodore impression in the game, getting yanked after allowing two goals on two shots.
The Bruins ended up taking a four goal lead into the game’s first intermission. Dallas actually scored the game’s next three goals to bring the score to 4-3 about three and a half minutes into the third period, but Boston held on. Tyler Seguin ended up scoring the insurance goal before Brad Marchand scored an empty-netter.
Bergeron scored two goals and added an assist, Marchand compiled two helpers to go with his empty-netter while Mark Recchi earned three assists. Tuukka Rask earned the win by stopping 29 out of 32 shots while Kari Lehtonen allowed three goals on 31 shots in relief for Raycroft.
This win solidifies the Bruins’ Northeast Division lead while the Stars remain first in the Pacific. Here is a video of that crazy first 1:20.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 32
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)