Feb 2, 2011, 4:25 AM EDT
It started off ugly for the Sharks as Antti Niemi gave up three goals as Radim Vrbata, Keith Yandle, and Twitter superstar Paul Bissonnette each tallied for Phoenix as they got ahead 3-0 in the second. Alex Stalock made his NHL debut when he replaced Niemi after Bissonnette’s goal and the Sharks roared to life. Joe Pavelski scored twice and had an assist, Kyle Wellwood scored his first as a Shark and Patrick Marleau scored a shorthanded goal to put the Sharks ahead for good in the third. Stalock would make just nine saves to get the win in just under 30 minutes of work but the Sharks rally to get Niemi off the hook and get themselves a win was inspiring to see as the Sharks that played that final 30 minutes looked like a terrifying team to play against.
Nathan Horton snapped a ten-game goalless drought and helped the Bruins to victory in Raleigh. Patrice Bergeron scored his 17th goal of the year and Tim Thomas stopped 24 shots to get the win over fellow All-Star goalie Cam Ward. Carolina would get within a goal late when Joe Corvo scored in the third, but the Bruins held strong. The loss for Carolina kept them from jumping the Thrashers into eighth place in the East.
Pittsburgh 4 – NY Rangers 3 (F/SO)
It’s an uglier looking loss for the Rangers than what lets on. With no Crosby, no Malkin, no Letestu and then no Jordan Staal during the game as he was given a match penalty for sucker punching Brandon Prust, the game was certainly one the Rangers should win. Instead, they missed out on opportunities on Staal’s major penalty and couldn’t score at all in seven rounds of the shootout. Rookie Dustin Jeffrey was the game’s hero for Pittsburgh as he had a goal in regulation and the lone goal in the shootout to win it.
In front of a sparse crowd in Dallas, the Canucks rolled to victory again over the Stars. Christian Ehrhoff and Mikael Samuelsson each had a goal and an assist while Cory Schneider stopped 25 shots to get the win.
Montreal 3 – Washington 2 (F/SO)
Washington’s 2-0 first period lead disappeared in the second as Brian Gionta scored twice to tie the game. Gionta would strike one last time in the shootout as his shootout goal was the game-winner. Carey Price was solid in the win making 27 saves while Semyon Varlamov was brilliant in the loss saving 36 shots.
Another bad loss for Columbus as they surrender seven goals to Chicago. Jonathan Toews had a goal and two assists to lead the way while Patrick Kane had a goal and an assist. Steve Mason had yet another rough game making 17 saves through two periods before being replaced by Mathieu Garon. Chicago scored two shorthanded goals in this game, the Blue Jackets lead the league in shorthanded goals allowed.
Minnesota 1 – Los Angeles 0 (F/SO)
It was the rare double-shutout as Niklas Backstrom stopped 27 shots and Jonathan Bernier made 25 saves to each earn the shutout. In the shootout however, Pierre-Marc Bouchard scored the long goal of the skills competition to give the Wild the win.
Calgary 3 – Nashville 2 (F/SO)
Colorado @ St. Louis (Postponed – Weather)
Kyle Okposo had two goals and an assist for the Islanders as they sunk the struggling Thrashers.
Toronto 4 – Florida 3 (F/SO)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 69
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (92)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (72)