Feb 2, 2011, 6:16 PM EDT
While the Rangers are getting healthy all over the ice with the return of Ryan Callahan and Brandon Dubinsky last night and Vinny Prospal set to return tomorrow night, one guy who won’t be back soon is Ruslan Fedotenko. Fedotenko will be out another 3-4 weeks after undergoing appendectomy surgery.
Fedotenko had been playing third and fourth line minutes for the Rangers in a depth role and has been out with a separated left shoulder of late but his return from that will now be delayed after having his appendix out. Fedotenko along with Erik Christensen are the last two starting forwards the team is missing out on in the starting lineup with everyone else back and healthy. The team is without Alexander Frolov for the remainder of the year after tearing ligaments in his knee.
Despite all the injuries, the Rangers are doing well in the playoff hunt in the Eastern Conference. With 62 points they’re sixth in the East, one point ahead of Montreal in seventh and five points ahead of Atlanta in eighth. The Rangers are just two points behind the Capitals in fifth place. Fedotenko was doing well but now the team will need to rely further on the likes of Kris Newbury to take that spot in the lineup.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 50
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)