Feb 2, 2011, 7:21 PM EST
As you likely know, what was supposed to be an Avalanche-Blues game on Tuesday, February 1st was postponed due to the weather issues in St. Louis. The NHL announced that the game will now be played on Tuesday, February 22nd.
Both teams are in the Western Conference playoff bubble muck right now, with Colorado in 10th place at 56 points and St. Louis still in it with 51. The schedule change could have a fairly big impact, so here’s how that game will look for both teams.
Context for St. Louis on Feb. 22:
February 18: at Buffalo
Feb. 19: home vs. Anaheim
Feb. 21: home vs. Chicago
Feb. 22: home vs. Colorado
Feb. 24: at Vancouver
Feb. 25: at Edmonton
So the Blues will play a whopping six games in eight days because of the schedule change, with three sets of back-to-back games.
Context for Avs on Feb. 22:
Feb. 19: at San Jose
Feb. 22: at St. Louis
Feb. 23: vs. Edmonton
Feb. 26: at Los Angeles
Feb. 27: at Anaheim
As you can see, the Avalanche will have a bit better luck than the Blues overall. That being said, the Avs will face a stretch in which five of their six games will be on the road and get a new back-to-back with the schedule change.
Overall, this postponement might not be great for either team, but executives were right in moving the game anyway. It seems to fall in line with a striking run of bad luck for St. Louis this season, though.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 7
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 7
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 21
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)