Feb 2, 2011, 7:21 PM EDT
As you likely know, what was supposed to be an Avalanche-Blues game on Tuesday, February 1st was postponed due to the weather issues in St. Louis. The NHL announced that the game will now be played on Tuesday, February 22nd.
Both teams are in the Western Conference playoff bubble muck right now, with Colorado in 10th place at 56 points and St. Louis still in it with 51. The schedule change could have a fairly big impact, so here’s how that game will look for both teams.
Context for St. Louis on Feb. 22:
February 18: at Buffalo
Feb. 19: home vs. Anaheim
Feb. 21: home vs. Chicago
Feb. 22: home vs. Colorado
Feb. 24: at Vancouver
Feb. 25: at Edmonton
So the Blues will play a whopping six games in eight days because of the schedule change, with three sets of back-to-back games.
Context for Avs on Feb. 22:
Feb. 19: at San Jose
Feb. 22: at St. Louis
Feb. 23: vs. Edmonton
Feb. 26: at Los Angeles
Feb. 27: at Anaheim
As you can see, the Avalanche will have a bit better luck than the Blues overall. That being said, the Avs will face a stretch in which five of their six games will be on the road and get a new back-to-back with the schedule change.
Overall, this postponement might not be great for either team, but executives were right in moving the game anyway. It seems to fall in line with a striking run of bad luck for St. Louis this season, though.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)