Feb 2, 2011, 11:29 AM EDT
Lots of notes for the Penguins this morning. Leading things off, Jordan Staal will not have any further punishment handed out to him for his sucker punch of Rangers forward Brandon Prust. Staal received a match penalty for the hit, a penalty that normally comes with a mandatory one-game suspension. As it is, Staal will play tonight and that’s for the best as Prust’s reaction to the punch seemed dubious at best.
Elsewhere, Evgeni Malkin was placed on injured reserve retroactively this morning. That means his IR-status goes back to the last game he played back on January 18th. This means that Malkin is eligible to come off IR at any time but he will not play in tonight’s game against the Islanders. It wouldn’t be crazy to think that Malkin plays in Pittsburgh’s next game on Friday against Buffalo.
Instead of Malkin playing tonight, the Pens called up Eric Tangradi from the AHL to suit up. Tangradi was a second round pick of the Ducks back in 2007 but came to Pittsburgh in the Chris Kunitz for Ryan Whitney trade. In 42 games for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Tangradi has 18 goals and 14 assists. He’s also played nine games for Pittsburgh this year earning a goal and an assist.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)