Feb 2, 2011, 11:29 AM EDT
Lots of notes for the Penguins this morning. Leading things off, Jordan Staal will not have any further punishment handed out to him for his sucker punch of Rangers forward Brandon Prust. Staal received a match penalty for the hit, a penalty that normally comes with a mandatory one-game suspension. As it is, Staal will play tonight and that’s for the best as Prust’s reaction to the punch seemed dubious at best.
Elsewhere, Evgeni Malkin was placed on injured reserve retroactively this morning. That means his IR-status goes back to the last game he played back on January 18th. This means that Malkin is eligible to come off IR at any time but he will not play in tonight’s game against the Islanders. It wouldn’t be crazy to think that Malkin plays in Pittsburgh’s next game on Friday against Buffalo.
Instead of Malkin playing tonight, the Pens called up Eric Tangradi from the AHL to suit up. Tangradi was a second round pick of the Ducks back in 2007 but came to Pittsburgh in the Chris Kunitz for Ryan Whitney trade. In 42 games for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Tangradi has 18 goals and 14 assists. He’s also played nine games for Pittsburgh this year earning a goal and an assist.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)