Feb 2, 2011, 11:29 AM EST
Lots of notes for the Penguins this morning. Leading things off, Jordan Staal will not have any further punishment handed out to him for his sucker punch of Rangers forward Brandon Prust. Staal received a match penalty for the hit, a penalty that normally comes with a mandatory one-game suspension. As it is, Staal will play tonight and that’s for the best as Prust’s reaction to the punch seemed dubious at best.
Elsewhere, Evgeni Malkin was placed on injured reserve retroactively this morning. That means his IR-status goes back to the last game he played back on January 18th. This means that Malkin is eligible to come off IR at any time but he will not play in tonight’s game against the Islanders. It wouldn’t be crazy to think that Malkin plays in Pittsburgh’s next game on Friday against Buffalo.
Instead of Malkin playing tonight, the Pens called up Eric Tangradi from the AHL to suit up. Tangradi was a second round pick of the Ducks back in 2007 but came to Pittsburgh in the Chris Kunitz for Ryan Whitney trade. In 42 games for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Tangradi has 18 goals and 14 assists. He’s also played nine games for Pittsburgh this year earning a goal and an assist.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46