Feb 2, 2011, 11:29 AM EDT
Lots of notes for the Penguins this morning. Leading things off, Jordan Staal will not have any further punishment handed out to him for his sucker punch of Rangers forward Brandon Prust. Staal received a match penalty for the hit, a penalty that normally comes with a mandatory one-game suspension. As it is, Staal will play tonight and that’s for the best as Prust’s reaction to the punch seemed dubious at best.
Elsewhere, Evgeni Malkin was placed on injured reserve retroactively this morning. That means his IR-status goes back to the last game he played back on January 18th. This means that Malkin is eligible to come off IR at any time but he will not play in tonight’s game against the Islanders. It wouldn’t be crazy to think that Malkin plays in Pittsburgh’s next game on Friday against Buffalo.
Instead of Malkin playing tonight, the Pens called up Eric Tangradi from the AHL to suit up. Tangradi was a second round pick of the Ducks back in 2007 but came to Pittsburgh in the Chris Kunitz for Ryan Whitney trade. In 42 games for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Tangradi has 18 goals and 14 assists. He’s also played nine games for Pittsburgh this year earning a goal and an assist.
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 0
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 20
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 6
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8