Feb 2, 2011, 8:54 PM EDT
As we mentioned yesterday, the 2011 NHL All-Star Game was a big ratings success in both Canada and the United States.
It wasn’t just a success from a ratings standpoint, though. The NHL announced that it drew nice improvements in various other financial categories as well.
For one thing, the league reports that corporate sponsor support went up 42 percent compared to the last event that took place in the United States (the 2008 edition in Atlanta). It was also up 12 percent compared to the 2009 event in Montreal. You could see the power of the league’s sponsors in the well-played move to give Phil Kessel a Honda to soothe the pain that came from being “Mr. Irrelevant” in the Fantasy Draft.
Retailers were pleased to boot, as the league announced that it saw an increase in sales for U.S.-based games, with a 20 percent jump from Atlanta’s event.
The game was also popular online. NHL.com saw a record in videos played among other marks:
This year’s NHL All-Star Game showed double- and triple-digit percentage increases in key NHL.com metrics over the 2009 event and set an all-time record for video starts on Sunday, the day of the NHL All-Star Game.
Sunday video starts shattered the month-old record by 26 percent and was 192 percent higher than the season average. Sunday’s video starts represented a 302-percent increase over the 2009 NHL All-Star Game.
Unique visitors for NHL All-Star Weekend were up 67 percent over 2009 and unique visitors for Sunday’s NHL All-Star Game presented by Discover were up 61 percent over 2009.
So, again, by just about any measure the 2011 all-star contest was a huge success. Let’s see if they can top it next year.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)