Feb 2, 2011, 11:55 AM EDT
Playing the rough brand of hockey is something the Maple Leafs and GM Brian Burke are proud to do. Leafs forward Mike Brown is the sort of player that personifies that more sandpaper-like part of the game and he’s a guy Burke has been a big fan of for some time. Today, the Leafs rewarded Brown with a three-year contract extension to stay in Toronto through the 2013-2014 season.
This season, Brown’s battled some injury problems but through 26 games, he’s scored three goals and three assists to go along with his team high +3 rating as well as 41 penalty minutes. Brown brings a physical and agitating presence to the Leafs lineup and that’s something they’re quite proud to have in spades.
Brown is a guy that Brian Burke appears to have a fondness for. Brown was acquired by Burke in his waning days in Anaheim from Vancouver, who drafted him shortly after Burke’s departure there. Brown was then acquired this off-season from the Ducks for a fifth round pick. He’s also a player that doesn’t generally do a whole lot that’s impressive. I’m sure some will be happy to make a Maple Leafs joke right now.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 16
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 23
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 33
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)