Feb 2, 2011, 11:55 AM EDT
Playing the rough brand of hockey is something the Maple Leafs and GM Brian Burke are proud to do. Leafs forward Mike Brown is the sort of player that personifies that more sandpaper-like part of the game and he’s a guy Burke has been a big fan of for some time. Today, the Leafs rewarded Brown with a three-year contract extension to stay in Toronto through the 2013-2014 season.
This season, Brown’s battled some injury problems but through 26 games, he’s scored three goals and three assists to go along with his team high +3 rating as well as 41 penalty minutes. Brown brings a physical and agitating presence to the Leafs lineup and that’s something they’re quite proud to have in spades.
Brown is a guy that Brian Burke appears to have a fondness for. Brown was acquired by Burke in his waning days in Anaheim from Vancouver, who drafted him shortly after Burke’s departure there. Brown was then acquired this off-season from the Ducks for a fifth round pick. He’s also a player that doesn’t generally do a whole lot that’s impressive. I’m sure some will be happy to make a Maple Leafs joke right now.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)