Feb 2, 2011, 11:55 AM EDT
Playing the rough brand of hockey is something the Maple Leafs and GM Brian Burke are proud to do. Leafs forward Mike Brown is the sort of player that personifies that more sandpaper-like part of the game and he’s a guy Burke has been a big fan of for some time. Today, the Leafs rewarded Brown with a three-year contract extension to stay in Toronto through the 2013-2014 season.
This season, Brown’s battled some injury problems but through 26 games, he’s scored three goals and three assists to go along with his team high +3 rating as well as 41 penalty minutes. Brown brings a physical and agitating presence to the Leafs lineup and that’s something they’re quite proud to have in spades.
Brown is a guy that Brian Burke appears to have a fondness for. Brown was acquired by Burke in his waning days in Anaheim from Vancouver, who drafted him shortly after Burke’s departure there. Brown was then acquired this off-season from the Ducks for a fifth round pick. He’s also a player that doesn’t generally do a whole lot that’s impressive. I’m sure some will be happy to make a Maple Leafs joke right now.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)