Feb 2, 2011, 11:55 AM EDT
Playing the rough brand of hockey is something the Maple Leafs and GM Brian Burke are proud to do. Leafs forward Mike Brown is the sort of player that personifies that more sandpaper-like part of the game and he’s a guy Burke has been a big fan of for some time. Today, the Leafs rewarded Brown with a three-year contract extension to stay in Toronto through the 2013-2014 season.
This season, Brown’s battled some injury problems but through 26 games, he’s scored three goals and three assists to go along with his team high +3 rating as well as 41 penalty minutes. Brown brings a physical and agitating presence to the Leafs lineup and that’s something they’re quite proud to have in spades.
Brown is a guy that Brian Burke appears to have a fondness for. Brown was acquired by Burke in his waning days in Anaheim from Vancouver, who drafted him shortly after Burke’s departure there. Brown was then acquired this off-season from the Ducks for a fifth round pick. He’s also a player that doesn’t generally do a whole lot that’s impressive. I’m sure some will be happy to make a Maple Leafs joke right now.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)