Feb 2, 2011, 11:55 AM EST
Playing the rough brand of hockey is something the Maple Leafs and GM Brian Burke are proud to do. Leafs forward Mike Brown is the sort of player that personifies that more sandpaper-like part of the game and he’s a guy Burke has been a big fan of for some time. Today, the Leafs rewarded Brown with a three-year contract extension to stay in Toronto through the 2013-2014 season.
This season, Brown’s battled some injury problems but through 26 games, he’s scored three goals and three assists to go along with his team high +3 rating as well as 41 penalty minutes. Brown brings a physical and agitating presence to the Leafs lineup and that’s something they’re quite proud to have in spades.
Brown is a guy that Brian Burke appears to have a fondness for. Brown was acquired by Burke in his waning days in Anaheim from Vancouver, who drafted him shortly after Burke’s departure there. Brown was then acquired this off-season from the Ducks for a fifth round pick. He’s also a player that doesn’t generally do a whole lot that’s impressive. I’m sure some will be happy to make a Maple Leafs joke right now.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 0
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 19
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 5
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 20
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 129
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (129)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (108)