Feb 2, 2011, 12:47 AM EST
If teams have been wondering when the Lightning are going to fall back in the standings, they might want to wonder if it’s going to happen at all this season. With Dwayne Roloson in goal now for Tampa Bay, things are different and tonight the Lightning wasted no time in serving notice to the Flyers that they’re going to be a team to worry about later on in the season.
Roloson stopped all 38 shots he faced tonight in earning his fourth shutout of the season and giving Tampa Bay a 3-0-0 record on their record 12-game homestand. Teddy Purcell scored two goals in the first 1:21 of the game, including his first just :19 seconds into the game to get Tampa Bay comfortably ahead. Steve Downie scored his ninth goal of the year while Steve Stamkos scored his league-leading 39th goal in the third period.
The win puts Tampa Bay within two points of Philadelphia for the top spot in the Eastern Conference. Philadelphia meanwhile loses a bit of ground to both Pittsburgh and the New York Rangers as the Penguins beat New York 4-3 in a shootout at Madison Square Garden. The Pens are now three points behind Philly for first place in the division and the conference.
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 35
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 70
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 66
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 33
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)