Feb 2, 2011, 12:47 AM EDT
If teams have been wondering when the Lightning are going to fall back in the standings, they might want to wonder if it’s going to happen at all this season. With Dwayne Roloson in goal now for Tampa Bay, things are different and tonight the Lightning wasted no time in serving notice to the Flyers that they’re going to be a team to worry about later on in the season.
Roloson stopped all 38 shots he faced tonight in earning his fourth shutout of the season and giving Tampa Bay a 3-0-0 record on their record 12-game homestand. Teddy Purcell scored two goals in the first 1:21 of the game, including his first just :19 seconds into the game to get Tampa Bay comfortably ahead. Steve Downie scored his ninth goal of the year while Steve Stamkos scored his league-leading 39th goal in the third period.
The win puts Tampa Bay within two points of Philadelphia for the top spot in the Eastern Conference. Philadelphia meanwhile loses a bit of ground to both Pittsburgh and the New York Rangers as the Penguins beat New York 4-3 in a shootout at Madison Square Garden. The Pens are now three points behind Philly for first place in the division and the conference.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)