Feb 2, 2011, 12:47 AM EDT
If teams have been wondering when the Lightning are going to fall back in the standings, they might want to wonder if it’s going to happen at all this season. With Dwayne Roloson in goal now for Tampa Bay, things are different and tonight the Lightning wasted no time in serving notice to the Flyers that they’re going to be a team to worry about later on in the season.
Roloson stopped all 38 shots he faced tonight in earning his fourth shutout of the season and giving Tampa Bay a 3-0-0 record on their record 12-game homestand. Teddy Purcell scored two goals in the first 1:21 of the game, including his first just :19 seconds into the game to get Tampa Bay comfortably ahead. Steve Downie scored his ninth goal of the year while Steve Stamkos scored his league-leading 39th goal in the third period.
The win puts Tampa Bay within two points of Philadelphia for the top spot in the Eastern Conference. Philadelphia meanwhile loses a bit of ground to both Pittsburgh and the New York Rangers as the Penguins beat New York 4-3 in a shootout at Madison Square Garden. The Pens are now three points behind Philly for first place in the division and the conference.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 7
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 16
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 40
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 83
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (85)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control