Feb 2, 2011, 12:47 AM EST
If teams have been wondering when the Lightning are going to fall back in the standings, they might want to wonder if it’s going to happen at all this season. With Dwayne Roloson in goal now for Tampa Bay, things are different and tonight the Lightning wasted no time in serving notice to the Flyers that they’re going to be a team to worry about later on in the season.
Roloson stopped all 38 shots he faced tonight in earning his fourth shutout of the season and giving Tampa Bay a 3-0-0 record on their record 12-game homestand. Teddy Purcell scored two goals in the first 1:21 of the game, including his first just :19 seconds into the game to get Tampa Bay comfortably ahead. Steve Downie scored his ninth goal of the year while Steve Stamkos scored his league-leading 39th goal in the third period.
The win puts Tampa Bay within two points of Philadelphia for the top spot in the Eastern Conference. Philadelphia meanwhile loses a bit of ground to both Pittsburgh and the New York Rangers as the Penguins beat New York 4-3 in a shootout at Madison Square Garden. The Pens are now three points behind Philly for first place in the division and the conference.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 19
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)