Feb 2, 2011, 12:47 AM EDT
If teams have been wondering when the Lightning are going to fall back in the standings, they might want to wonder if it’s going to happen at all this season. With Dwayne Roloson in goal now for Tampa Bay, things are different and tonight the Lightning wasted no time in serving notice to the Flyers that they’re going to be a team to worry about later on in the season.
Roloson stopped all 38 shots he faced tonight in earning his fourth shutout of the season and giving Tampa Bay a 3-0-0 record on their record 12-game homestand. Teddy Purcell scored two goals in the first 1:21 of the game, including his first just :19 seconds into the game to get Tampa Bay comfortably ahead. Steve Downie scored his ninth goal of the year while Steve Stamkos scored his league-leading 39th goal in the third period.
The win puts Tampa Bay within two points of Philadelphia for the top spot in the Eastern Conference. Philadelphia meanwhile loses a bit of ground to both Pittsburgh and the New York Rangers as the Penguins beat New York 4-3 in a shootout at Madison Square Garden. The Pens are now three points behind Philly for first place in the division and the conference.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)