Feb 2, 2011, 2:19 PM EST
After a fair amount of confusion this morning about what means what when it came to Jordan Staal‘s match penalty last night, it’s come out that Staal will be available to play tonight against the Islanders in Pittsburgh.
Staal received a match penalty for sucker punching Brandon Prust of the Rangers last night. A match penalty comes with a mandatory one-game suspension unless the league rescinds that. NHL.com’s Dan Rosen got direct clarification on Staal’s status after some confusion over the announcement that no further action would be taken against Staal.
Colin Campbell: “We have reviewed the play and have communicated to Ray Shero that Jordan Staal is available to play tonight.”
This means that the Pens will have at least one stellar forward in the lineup tonight after it was announced today that Evgeni Malkin was retroactively put on injured reserve and won’t play tonight.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 83
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (83)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)