Feb 2, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
After a fair amount of confusion this morning about what means what when it came to Jordan Staal‘s match penalty last night, it’s come out that Staal will be available to play tonight against the Islanders in Pittsburgh.
Staal received a match penalty for sucker punching Brandon Prust of the Rangers last night. A match penalty comes with a mandatory one-game suspension unless the league rescinds that. NHL.com’s Dan Rosen got direct clarification on Staal’s status after some confusion over the announcement that no further action would be taken against Staal.
Colin Campbell: “We have reviewed the play and have communicated to Ray Shero that Jordan Staal is available to play tonight.”
This means that the Pens will have at least one stellar forward in the lineup tonight after it was announced today that Evgeni Malkin was retroactively put on injured reserve and won’t play tonight.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)