Feb 2, 2011, 2:19 PM EST
After a fair amount of confusion this morning about what means what when it came to Jordan Staal‘s match penalty last night, it’s come out that Staal will be available to play tonight against the Islanders in Pittsburgh.
Staal received a match penalty for sucker punching Brandon Prust of the Rangers last night. A match penalty comes with a mandatory one-game suspension unless the league rescinds that. NHL.com’s Dan Rosen got direct clarification on Staal’s status after some confusion over the announcement that no further action would be taken against Staal.
Colin Campbell: “We have reviewed the play and have communicated to Ray Shero that Jordan Staal is available to play tonight.”
This means that the Pens will have at least one stellar forward in the lineup tonight after it was announced today that Evgeni Malkin was retroactively put on injured reserve and won’t play tonight.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)