Feb 2, 2011, 12:31 PM EDT
It was a pretty good month for Carolina’s Jeff Skinner and now he gets to cap it off being named the NHL’s Rookie of the Month for January. Skinner finished the month with nine goals and five assists good for 14 points, edging out Boston’s Brad Marchand, Buffalo’s Tyler Ennis, New York’s Mats Zuccarello, and Flyers goalie Sergei Bobrovsky for the monthly honor.
Skinner was initially named to be one of the members of the rookie squad to participate in the NHL SuperSkills, but after injuries knocked out some of the All-Star Game’s players, Skinner got the call to join the game and become the youngest NHL All-Star of all time.
Skinner joins past honorees Washington goalie Michal Neuvirth, Bobrovsky, and San Jose’s Logan Couture as winners of the award this season. For Skinner at just 18 years-old it’s been a great month and with the Hurricanes threatening for a playoff spot in the East, bringing the team back to the playoffs would make for a nice credit to his hockey résumé this year.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 8
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 8
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 23
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 54
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)