Feb 2, 2011, 12:31 PM EDT
It was a pretty good month for Carolina’s Jeff Skinner and now he gets to cap it off being named the NHL’s Rookie of the Month for January. Skinner finished the month with nine goals and five assists good for 14 points, edging out Boston’s Brad Marchand, Buffalo’s Tyler Ennis, New York’s Mats Zuccarello, and Flyers goalie Sergei Bobrovsky for the monthly honor.
Skinner was initially named to be one of the members of the rookie squad to participate in the NHL SuperSkills, but after injuries knocked out some of the All-Star Game’s players, Skinner got the call to join the game and become the youngest NHL All-Star of all time.
Skinner joins past honorees Washington goalie Michal Neuvirth, Bobrovsky, and San Jose’s Logan Couture as winners of the award this season. For Skinner at just 18 years-old it’s been a great month and with the Hurricanes threatening for a playoff spot in the East, bringing the team back to the playoffs would make for a nice credit to his hockey résumé this year.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)