Feb 2, 2011, 12:31 PM EST
It was a pretty good month for Carolina’s Jeff Skinner and now he gets to cap it off being named the NHL’s Rookie of the Month for January. Skinner finished the month with nine goals and five assists good for 14 points, edging out Boston’s Brad Marchand, Buffalo’s Tyler Ennis, New York’s Mats Zuccarello, and Flyers goalie Sergei Bobrovsky for the monthly honor.
Skinner was initially named to be one of the members of the rookie squad to participate in the NHL SuperSkills, but after injuries knocked out some of the All-Star Game’s players, Skinner got the call to join the game and become the youngest NHL All-Star of all time.
Skinner joins past honorees Washington goalie Michal Neuvirth, Bobrovsky, and San Jose’s Logan Couture as winners of the award this season. For Skinner at just 18 years-old it’s been a great month and with the Hurricanes threatening for a playoff spot in the East, bringing the team back to the playoffs would make for a nice credit to his hockey résumé this year.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 30
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 35
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 80
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)