Feb 2, 2011, 12:31 PM EDT
It was a pretty good month for Carolina’s Jeff Skinner and now he gets to cap it off being named the NHL’s Rookie of the Month for January. Skinner finished the month with nine goals and five assists good for 14 points, edging out Boston’s Brad Marchand, Buffalo’s Tyler Ennis, New York’s Mats Zuccarello, and Flyers goalie Sergei Bobrovsky for the monthly honor.
Skinner was initially named to be one of the members of the rookie squad to participate in the NHL SuperSkills, but after injuries knocked out some of the All-Star Game’s players, Skinner got the call to join the game and become the youngest NHL All-Star of all time.
Skinner joins past honorees Washington goalie Michal Neuvirth, Bobrovsky, and San Jose’s Logan Couture as winners of the award this season. For Skinner at just 18 years-old it’s been a great month and with the Hurricanes threatening for a playoff spot in the East, bringing the team back to the playoffs would make for a nice credit to his hockey résumé this year.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 17
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 32
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)