Feb 1, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
There have been some pretty big names in politics, entertainment and other highly publicized professions who shared their interest and approval of hockey.
Sarah Palin’s hockey fandom gained considerable notoriety once she became a vice presidential candidate. Kiefer Sutherland voiced the introduction for NHL presentations. Just about every Canadian celebrity has shown interest in the sport.
Yet there still seems to be something special about First Lady Michelle Obama speaking on the sport’s behalf.
Obama appeared in a public service announcement for USA Hockey and the NHL, which you can see in the video below. It’s part of an effort to get kids to exercise via the Let’s Move campaign (one would assume so they don’t become pear-shaped hockey bloggers).
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 67
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 32
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona