Feb 1, 2011, 1:28 PM EST
Few expected the New Jersey Devils to flop this badly in 2010-11. Perhaps the lost season hurt team owner Jeff Vanderbeek the most, because Michele Steele of Bloomberg TV reports that the team could be up for sale.
If the report is true, it certainly wouldn’t be an example of selling high. After years of being an elite team in the NHL – even if they rarely played captivating hockey – the Devils have been miserable this season.
Maybe Vanderbeek simply cannot accept the idea of signing Ilya Kovalchuk‘s checks for the next decade-plus. Perhaps the team isn’t a box office smash at the Prudential Center in Newark. Whatever the case may be, we’ll keep you updated to see if this rumor gets squashed or if the hunt to find a new owner picks up.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 45
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 122
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)