Feb 1, 2011, 11:43 AM EDT
We discussed the fact that Evgeni Malkin practiced but Sidney Crosby did not on Monday, but it appears that the Pittsburgh Penguins must play without both of their stars against the New York Rangers tonight.
Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said that Malkin won’t play in tonight’s game thanks to the lingering effects of a sinus infection (the team’s excuse for holding him out of the 2011 NHL All-Star Game), according to Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
It’s difficult to avoid some skepticism regarding what is actually bothering Malkin. The talented center missed a few games in December because of knee problems, but the team claims that a sinus infection is the problem this time around. Malkin probably benefits from some rest either way, but he said that his knee feels “100 percent” and he hasn’t been skating with a knee brace.
The Penguins have a quick turnaround this week, as they’ll face the New York Islanders on Wednesday. We’ll let you know if Malkin is able to play in that one.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 44
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)