Feb 1, 2011, 11:43 AM EDT
We discussed the fact that Evgeni Malkin practiced but Sidney Crosby did not on Monday, but it appears that the Pittsburgh Penguins must play without both of their stars against the New York Rangers tonight.
Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said that Malkin won’t play in tonight’s game thanks to the lingering effects of a sinus infection (the team’s excuse for holding him out of the 2011 NHL All-Star Game), according to Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
It’s difficult to avoid some skepticism regarding what is actually bothering Malkin. The talented center missed a few games in December because of knee problems, but the team claims that a sinus infection is the problem this time around. Malkin probably benefits from some rest either way, but he said that his knee feels “100 percent” and he hasn’t been skating with a knee brace.
The Penguins have a quick turnaround this week, as they’ll face the New York Islanders on Wednesday. We’ll let you know if Malkin is able to play in that one.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)