Feb 1, 2011, 11:43 AM EST
We discussed the fact that Evgeni Malkin practiced but Sidney Crosby did not on Monday, but it appears that the Pittsburgh Penguins must play without both of their stars against the New York Rangers tonight.
Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said that Malkin won’t play in tonight’s game thanks to the lingering effects of a sinus infection (the team’s excuse for holding him out of the 2011 NHL All-Star Game), according to Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
It’s difficult to avoid some skepticism regarding what is actually bothering Malkin. The talented center missed a few games in December because of knee problems, but the team claims that a sinus infection is the problem this time around. Malkin probably benefits from some rest either way, but he said that his knee feels “100 percent” and he hasn’t been skating with a knee brace.
The Penguins have a quick turnaround this week, as they’ll face the New York Islanders on Wednesday. We’ll let you know if Malkin is able to play in that one.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 16
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)