Feb 1, 2011, 2:59 PM EDT
It’s been a big news week for the Buffalo Sabres.
Like we discussed yesterday, the team’s sale is just about complete, as the team announced that the deal was completed this afternoon and will hold a press conference on Thursday.
Naturally, when a new owner comes in, people wonder what will happen with a club’s current front office members. News surfaced that the Sabres quietly gave general manager Darcy Regier a two-year extension, but it turns out that longtime head coach Lindy Ruff actually rejected an offer for an extension of his own.
Ruff told Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News that he hasn’t discussed his coaching future with pending new owner Terry Pegula, instead indicating that their conversation was only “about hockey.”
It’ll be interesting to see what Ruff decides to do once this season is over. He is the longest tenured bench boss in the NHL, with 13 seasons in Buffalo beginning in the 1997-98 season. Wouldn’t it be odd if NFL coach Jeff Fisher and Ruff’s tenures ended in the same year?
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 3
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 21
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 12
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 73
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)