Feb 1, 2011, 12:00 PM EST
There is still time to vote for the Save of the Week. Click here to do so.
Every week, Pro Hockey Talk will ask our readers to choose the best goal and save of that seven-day period. Sometimes there might not be seven nominees, whether that be because there weren’t enough great clips or one person received multiple awards. Either way, readers ultimately get to choose each week’s lucky winners.
It almost seemed like a foregone conclusion that Alex Ovechkin would reach into his miles-deep bag of tricks and come up with something special during the 2011 SuperSkills competition.
While he didn’t produce a moment of goofy comedy like he did in 2009 when he donned sunglasses, used two sticks on a breakaway and received a sip of Gatorade from Evgeni Malkin, he still showed his outstanding flair for the game last weekend.
From taking cell phone shots of Phil Kessel when he was named Mr. Irrelevant to his skills competition moments all the way down to sliding his stick down the ice to cause the first penalty shot in all-star game history, there weren’t many dull moments with Ovechkin during the weekend. Check out the poll results for his Goal of the Week win.
Check out video of Ovechkin’s winning goal below.
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 0
- Alzner on Washington’s woes: ‘The killer instinct isn’t there right now’ 3
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 46
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Minnesota lands Moulson, McCormick from Buffalo (Updated) 31
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)