Feb 1, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
There is still time to vote for the Save of the Week. Click here to do so.
Every week, Pro Hockey Talk will ask our readers to choose the best goal and save of that seven-day period. Sometimes there might not be seven nominees, whether that be because there weren’t enough great clips or one person received multiple awards. Either way, readers ultimately get to choose each week’s lucky winners.
It almost seemed like a foregone conclusion that Alex Ovechkin would reach into his miles-deep bag of tricks and come up with something special during the 2011 SuperSkills competition.
While he didn’t produce a moment of goofy comedy like he did in 2009 when he donned sunglasses, used two sticks on a breakaway and received a sip of Gatorade from Evgeni Malkin, he still showed his outstanding flair for the game last weekend.
From taking cell phone shots of Phil Kessel when he was named Mr. Irrelevant to his skills competition moments all the way down to sliding his stick down the ice to cause the first penalty shot in all-star game history, there weren’t many dull moments with Ovechkin during the weekend. Check out the poll results for his Goal of the Week win.
Check out video of Ovechkin’s winning goal below.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)