Feb 1, 2011, 12:00 PM EST
There is still time to vote for the Save of the Week. Click here to do so.
Every week, Pro Hockey Talk will ask our readers to choose the best goal and save of that seven-day period. Sometimes there might not be seven nominees, whether that be because there weren’t enough great clips or one person received multiple awards. Either way, readers ultimately get to choose each week’s lucky winners.
It almost seemed like a foregone conclusion that Alex Ovechkin would reach into his miles-deep bag of tricks and come up with something special during the 2011 SuperSkills competition.
While he didn’t produce a moment of goofy comedy like he did in 2009 when he donned sunglasses, used two sticks on a breakaway and received a sip of Gatorade from Evgeni Malkin, he still showed his outstanding flair for the game last weekend.
From taking cell phone shots of Phil Kessel when he was named Mr. Irrelevant to his skills competition moments all the way down to sliding his stick down the ice to cause the first penalty shot in all-star game history, there weren’t many dull moments with Ovechkin during the weekend. Check out the poll results for his Goal of the Week win.
Check out video of Ovechkin’s winning goal below.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 29
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 46
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 16
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 32
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 49
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 49
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 48
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)