Feb 1, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
There is still time to vote for the Save of the Week. Click here to do so.
Every week, Pro Hockey Talk will ask our readers to choose the best goal and save of that seven-day period. Sometimes there might not be seven nominees, whether that be because there weren’t enough great clips or one person received multiple awards. Either way, readers ultimately get to choose each week’s lucky winners.
It almost seemed like a foregone conclusion that Alex Ovechkin would reach into his miles-deep bag of tricks and come up with something special during the 2011 SuperSkills competition.
While he didn’t produce a moment of goofy comedy like he did in 2009 when he donned sunglasses, used two sticks on a breakaway and received a sip of Gatorade from Evgeni Malkin, he still showed his outstanding flair for the game last weekend.
From taking cell phone shots of Phil Kessel when he was named Mr. Irrelevant to his skills competition moments all the way down to sliding his stick down the ice to cause the first penalty shot in all-star game history, there weren’t many dull moments with Ovechkin during the weekend. Check out the poll results for his Goal of the Week win.
Check out video of Ovechkin’s winning goal below.
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 3
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 8
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)