Feb 1, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
There is still time to vote for the Save of the Week. Click here to do so.
Every week, Pro Hockey Talk will ask our readers to choose the best goal and save of that seven-day period. Sometimes there might not be seven nominees, whether that be because there weren’t enough great clips or one person received multiple awards. Either way, readers ultimately get to choose each week’s lucky winners.
It almost seemed like a foregone conclusion that Alex Ovechkin would reach into his miles-deep bag of tricks and come up with something special during the 2011 SuperSkills competition.
While he didn’t produce a moment of goofy comedy like he did in 2009 when he donned sunglasses, used two sticks on a breakaway and received a sip of Gatorade from Evgeni Malkin, he still showed his outstanding flair for the game last weekend.
From taking cell phone shots of Phil Kessel when he was named Mr. Irrelevant to his skills competition moments all the way down to sliding his stick down the ice to cause the first penalty shot in all-star game history, there weren’t many dull moments with Ovechkin during the weekend. Check out the poll results for his Goal of the Week win.
Check out video of Ovechkin’s winning goal below.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 4
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50