Jan 31, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
All-star contests aren’t often great displays for defense in any sport, although perhaps baseball has the best chance to present some semblance of balance. (At least if a specific pitcher or two gets a hot hand.)
The NHL version can often torment goalies, although the wide-open nature also gives netminders the chance to show off their outstanding ability to move laterally or snatch a puck with a rapier-like glove hand.
Thanks in part to an Alex Ovechkin “blunder” that might have ultimately boiled down to the Russian star’s playfulness, Matt Duchene received the first penalty shot opportunity in all-star history on Sunday. Unfortunately for Duchene, Henrik Lundqvist was up to the task, as he stopped the breakaway cold. Check out video of the sequence below.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 8
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 39
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 8
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)