Jan 31, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
All-star contests aren’t often great displays for defense in any sport, although perhaps baseball has the best chance to present some semblance of balance. (At least if a specific pitcher or two gets a hot hand.)
The NHL version can often torment goalies, although the wide-open nature also gives netminders the chance to show off their outstanding ability to move laterally or snatch a puck with a rapier-like glove hand.
Thanks in part to an Alex Ovechkin “blunder” that might have ultimately boiled down to the Russian star’s playfulness, Matt Duchene received the first penalty shot opportunity in all-star history on Sunday. Unfortunately for Duchene, Henrik Lundqvist was up to the task, as he stopped the breakaway cold. Check out video of the sequence below.
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 14
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)