Jan 31, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
All-star contests aren’t often great displays for defense in any sport, although perhaps baseball has the best chance to present some semblance of balance. (At least if a specific pitcher or two gets a hot hand.)
The NHL version can often torment goalies, although the wide-open nature also gives netminders the chance to show off their outstanding ability to move laterally or snatch a puck with a rapier-like glove hand.
Thanks in part to an Alex Ovechkin “blunder” that might have ultimately boiled down to the Russian star’s playfulness, Matt Duchene received the first penalty shot opportunity in all-star history on Sunday. Unfortunately for Duchene, Henrik Lundqvist was up to the task, as he stopped the breakaway cold. Check out video of the sequence below.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 3
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (172)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)