Jan 31, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
All-star contests aren’t often great displays for defense in any sport, although perhaps baseball has the best chance to present some semblance of balance. (At least if a specific pitcher or two gets a hot hand.)
The NHL version can often torment goalies, although the wide-open nature also gives netminders the chance to show off their outstanding ability to move laterally or snatch a puck with a rapier-like glove hand.
Thanks in part to an Alex Ovechkin “blunder” that might have ultimately boiled down to the Russian star’s playfulness, Matt Duchene received the first penalty shot opportunity in all-star history on Sunday. Unfortunately for Duchene, Henrik Lundqvist was up to the task, as he stopped the breakaway cold. Check out video of the sequence below.
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 8
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 4
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 74
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 66
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)