Jan 31, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
All-star contests aren’t often great displays for defense in any sport, although perhaps baseball has the best chance to present some semblance of balance. (At least if a specific pitcher or two gets a hot hand.)
The NHL version can often torment goalies, although the wide-open nature also gives netminders the chance to show off their outstanding ability to move laterally or snatch a puck with a rapier-like glove hand.
Thanks in part to an Alex Ovechkin “blunder” that might have ultimately boiled down to the Russian star’s playfulness, Matt Duchene received the first penalty shot opportunity in all-star history on Sunday. Unfortunately for Duchene, Henrik Lundqvist was up to the task, as he stopped the breakaway cold. Check out video of the sequence below.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 41
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)