Jan 31, 2011, 4:33 PM EDT
Various sources including WGR 550 report that the Buffalo Sabres will officially announce the team’s sale to Terry Pegula on Thursday after months of speculation. Pegula will be responsible for $175 million for the team along with $14 million in assumed liabilities, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and other executives have spoken highly of Pegula, praising his “passion for the game” while also pointing out the fact that he has the resources (aka money) to support a professional hockey team.
Pat Malacaro of WGR 550 notes that this isn’t technically the final step of the process, though. The NHL Board of Governors must approve the sale after both sides sign the agreement. That being said, it seems like Pegula is receiving rave reviews from prominent people in the league, so that might be a formality.
Then again, NHL ownership situations can go from normal to crazy quickly enough to turn The Incredible Hulk green, so we won’t count any chickens just yet. We’ll let you know if anything changes. If not, we’ll pass along the news once Pegula actually becomes the new owner of the Sabres.
That process might take about a month, meaning the team might have need to take some leaps of faith around trade deadline time.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)