Jan 31, 2011, 4:33 PM EDT
Various sources including WGR 550 report that the Buffalo Sabres will officially announce the team’s sale to Terry Pegula on Thursday after months of speculation. Pegula will be responsible for $175 million for the team along with $14 million in assumed liabilities, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and other executives have spoken highly of Pegula, praising his “passion for the game” while also pointing out the fact that he has the resources (aka money) to support a professional hockey team.
Pat Malacaro of WGR 550 notes that this isn’t technically the final step of the process, though. The NHL Board of Governors must approve the sale after both sides sign the agreement. That being said, it seems like Pegula is receiving rave reviews from prominent people in the league, so that might be a formality.
Then again, NHL ownership situations can go from normal to crazy quickly enough to turn The Incredible Hulk green, so we won’t count any chickens just yet. We’ll let you know if anything changes. If not, we’ll pass along the news once Pegula actually becomes the new owner of the Sabres.
That process might take about a month, meaning the team might have need to take some leaps of faith around trade deadline time.
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 29
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 38
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)