Jan 31, 2011, 4:33 PM EDT
Various sources including WGR 550 report that the Buffalo Sabres will officially announce the team’s sale to Terry Pegula on Thursday after months of speculation. Pegula will be responsible for $175 million for the team along with $14 million in assumed liabilities, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and other executives have spoken highly of Pegula, praising his “passion for the game” while also pointing out the fact that he has the resources (aka money) to support a professional hockey team.
Pat Malacaro of WGR 550 notes that this isn’t technically the final step of the process, though. The NHL Board of Governors must approve the sale after both sides sign the agreement. That being said, it seems like Pegula is receiving rave reviews from prominent people in the league, so that might be a formality.
Then again, NHL ownership situations can go from normal to crazy quickly enough to turn The Incredible Hulk green, so we won’t count any chickens just yet. We’ll let you know if anything changes. If not, we’ll pass along the news once Pegula actually becomes the new owner of the Sabres.
That process might take about a month, meaning the team might have need to take some leaps of faith around trade deadline time.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 16
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)