Jan 31, 2011, 8:41 PM EST
The Rangers offense this year hasn’t been something to really write home about. They’ve had fits of poor scoring, Marian Gaborik has struggled to seize the day as the team’s best goal scorer, and they’ve got a host of key missing pieces to their lineup. They’re still doing well in winning despite all of that and things may just be getting better sooner.
Vinny Prospal has missed the entire season to this point with a right knee injury but now he’s finally healthy and has been cleared to play. Thursday against the Devils figures to be his first game back and for the Rangers, they’re hoping his return can provide the spark that Gaborik has been missing all season long. Brandon Dubinsky and Erik Christensen are also very close to rejoining the Rangers lineup as well. All of a sudden the Rangers don’t look so thin anymore.
Gaborik’s goal problems this year have been apparent as through 38 games he’s got just 16 goals scored. After scoring 42 goals last year to lead the team in scoring, getting that same 86-point production this year would do the Rangers a lot of good. Instead, Gaborik is second on the team in goals and points to injured forward Brandon Dubinsky. No offense to Dubinsky who is having a fine season, but Gaborik is supposed to be an elite goal scorer and capable of leading a team.
If Prospal’s return can spark Gaborik it’ll make a world of difference in how the Rangers positioning for the playoffs can get hashed out. There’s no real pressure on Prospal upon returning since the team is saddled with injuries to Dubinsky and Ryan Callahan as well but what he can do to help Gaborik could be huge.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)