Jan 31, 2011, 8:41 PM EDT
The Rangers offense this year hasn’t been something to really write home about. They’ve had fits of poor scoring, Marian Gaborik has struggled to seize the day as the team’s best goal scorer, and they’ve got a host of key missing pieces to their lineup. They’re still doing well in winning despite all of that and things may just be getting better sooner.
Vinny Prospal has missed the entire season to this point with a right knee injury but now he’s finally healthy and has been cleared to play. Thursday against the Devils figures to be his first game back and for the Rangers, they’re hoping his return can provide the spark that Gaborik has been missing all season long. Brandon Dubinsky and Erik Christensen are also very close to rejoining the Rangers lineup as well. All of a sudden the Rangers don’t look so thin anymore.
Gaborik’s goal problems this year have been apparent as through 38 games he’s got just 16 goals scored. After scoring 42 goals last year to lead the team in scoring, getting that same 86-point production this year would do the Rangers a lot of good. Instead, Gaborik is second on the team in goals and points to injured forward Brandon Dubinsky. No offense to Dubinsky who is having a fine season, but Gaborik is supposed to be an elite goal scorer and capable of leading a team.
If Prospal’s return can spark Gaborik it’ll make a world of difference in how the Rangers positioning for the playoffs can get hashed out. There’s no real pressure on Prospal upon returning since the team is saddled with injuries to Dubinsky and Ryan Callahan as well but what he can do to help Gaborik could be huge.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 22
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)