Jan 31, 2011, 8:41 PM EST
The Rangers offense this year hasn’t been something to really write home about. They’ve had fits of poor scoring, Marian Gaborik has struggled to seize the day as the team’s best goal scorer, and they’ve got a host of key missing pieces to their lineup. They’re still doing well in winning despite all of that and things may just be getting better sooner.
Vinny Prospal has missed the entire season to this point with a right knee injury but now he’s finally healthy and has been cleared to play. Thursday against the Devils figures to be his first game back and for the Rangers, they’re hoping his return can provide the spark that Gaborik has been missing all season long. Brandon Dubinsky and Erik Christensen are also very close to rejoining the Rangers lineup as well. All of a sudden the Rangers don’t look so thin anymore.
Gaborik’s goal problems this year have been apparent as through 38 games he’s got just 16 goals scored. After scoring 42 goals last year to lead the team in scoring, getting that same 86-point production this year would do the Rangers a lot of good. Instead, Gaborik is second on the team in goals and points to injured forward Brandon Dubinsky. No offense to Dubinsky who is having a fine season, but Gaborik is supposed to be an elite goal scorer and capable of leading a team.
If Prospal’s return can spark Gaborik it’ll make a world of difference in how the Rangers positioning for the playoffs can get hashed out. There’s no real pressure on Prospal upon returning since the team is saddled with injuries to Dubinsky and Ryan Callahan as well but what he can do to help Gaborik could be huge.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)