Jan 31, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT
The 2011 NHL All-Star Game was an outstanding success and a nice snapshot of the 2010-11 season, but we cannot ignore the injury-related omissions of stars, including Pittsburgh Penguins forwards Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.
Both forwards are dealing with injuries of varying severity, as Crosby fights off worrisome concussion issues while Malkin’s woes are more wear-and-tear related. (It appears that he might have some knee problem.)
Inside Pittsburgh Sports’ Will DePaoli reports that Malkin practiced today while Crosby did not. Crosby will miss his 10th straight game while it’s unclear whether or not Malkin will be able to play in Tuesday night’s game against the New York Rangers.
Who knows when Crosby might be able to return, but the all-star break could be a real boon for Malkin. The Russian forward played in a bunch of hockey games through the last few seasons, as he didn’t even take a full break over the summer, appearing in the World Championships in Germany.
Pittsburgh sat him after the team’s January 18th win against the Detroit Red Wings, meaning that he received at least two weeks of rest. Will that be a good enough breather for the struggling but sublime scorer? We’ll keep you up to date regarding the status of Pittsburgh’s two biggest stars as the team struggles to give the Philadelphia Flyers a run for the Atlantic Division crown.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (87)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)