Jan 31, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT
The 2011 NHL All-Star Game was an outstanding success and a nice snapshot of the 2010-11 season, but we cannot ignore the injury-related omissions of stars, including Pittsburgh Penguins forwards Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.
Both forwards are dealing with injuries of varying severity, as Crosby fights off worrisome concussion issues while Malkin’s woes are more wear-and-tear related. (It appears that he might have some knee problem.)
Inside Pittsburgh Sports’ Will DePaoli reports that Malkin practiced today while Crosby did not. Crosby will miss his 10th straight game while it’s unclear whether or not Malkin will be able to play in Tuesday night’s game against the New York Rangers.
Who knows when Crosby might be able to return, but the all-star break could be a real boon for Malkin. The Russian forward played in a bunch of hockey games through the last few seasons, as he didn’t even take a full break over the summer, appearing in the World Championships in Germany.
Pittsburgh sat him after the team’s January 18th win against the Detroit Red Wings, meaning that he received at least two weeks of rest. Will that be a good enough breather for the struggling but sublime scorer? We’ll keep you up to date regarding the status of Pittsburgh’s two biggest stars as the team struggles to give the Philadelphia Flyers a run for the Atlantic Division crown.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)