Jan 31, 2011, 5:36 PM EST
If the Florida Panthers truly believe they have a chance to break their lengthy playoff drought, that journey just got a bit tougher.
On Frozen Pond’s George Richards reports that Panthers center Shawn Matthias will miss six to eight weeks due to a broken ankle suffered in the team’s last game before the All-Star weekend. The semi-good news is that the reported window of time won’t cover the rest of the 2010-11 season, unless he suffers a setback. Still, the injury could keep him on the shelf into the late stages of March, when the Panthers are usually scratching and clawing to stay in the Eastern Conference bubble. (Then they usually end up just a few strides behind the bottom seeds in the playoffs.)
The team won’t be able to use the Matthias injury as a go-to excuse for why they didn’t make the playoffs because he’s only averaging a little less than 12 minutes of ice time per game. Still, the young forward already matched his modest career high of 16 points from last season, so it’s sad to see his moderate progress halted.
Matthias became a member of the Panthers system thanks to a trade that sent Todd Bertuzzi to the Detroit Red Wings in February 2007.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 4
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 32
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)