Jan 30, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
Wayne Gretzky didn’t become the all-time leading scorer in NHL history because he skated faster than anyone else or shot harder than any other player. Instead, he dominated thanks in large part due to his incredible hockey IQ.
So it’s important to take semantics into account when you consider Jeremy Roenick’s comments. Roenick said that Sidney Crosby is “way more talented” than Gretzky was when Roenick spoke on a recent radio show. Of course, Roenick also points to that hockey IQ when discussing Gretzky’s success, so it’s not as if he’s disparaging “The Great One.”
Of course, this gets to a deeper discussion about how difficult it is to compare players of different eras. For instance: can anyone say if Patrick Roy was better than Terry Sawchuk, considering how different equipment and style of play was in their generations? The same law applies to discussing Bob Pettit versus Shaq O’Neal; it’s almost as if they are playing two different games.
So in other words, take these words with a grain of salt. Still, it’s an interesting thought to consider: is Sidney Crosby “way more talented” right now than Wayne Gretzky was in his prime?
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 3
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)