Jan 30, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
Wayne Gretzky didn’t become the all-time leading scorer in NHL history because he skated faster than anyone else or shot harder than any other player. Instead, he dominated thanks in large part due to his incredible hockey IQ.
So it’s important to take semantics into account when you consider Jeremy Roenick’s comments. Roenick said that Sidney Crosby is “way more talented” than Gretzky was when Roenick spoke on a recent radio show. Of course, Roenick also points to that hockey IQ when discussing Gretzky’s success, so it’s not as if he’s disparaging “The Great One.”
Of course, this gets to a deeper discussion about how difficult it is to compare players of different eras. For instance: can anyone say if Patrick Roy was better than Terry Sawchuk, considering how different equipment and style of play was in their generations? The same law applies to discussing Bob Pettit versus Shaq O’Neal; it’s almost as if they are playing two different games.
So in other words, take these words with a grain of salt. Still, it’s an interesting thought to consider: is Sidney Crosby “way more talented” right now than Wayne Gretzky was in his prime?
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)