Jan 30, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
While the SuperSkills Elimination might have been the exception since goalies actually fared pretty well, the overall skills competition wasn’t a great night for netminders. (Just ask Tim Thomas.)
In other words, there were a lot of great goals (and adorable miniature nets!). Evgeny Dadonov took a few tries to get it right, but provided an impressive goal in the first shootout event. Martin St. Louis scored twice with his back turned to the net, providing some spellbinding moves. Corey Perry didn’t score a goal but dazzled with a lacrosse-style bit of hand eye coordination.
Ultimately, though, we decided to go with Alex Ovechkin, whose unusual goal earned him a fan-voted victory in the breakaway challenge. Sure, Marc-Andre Fleury didn’t provide much resistance, but it’s still a fun clip to watch.
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 0
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 47
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 72
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)