Jan 30, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
While the SuperSkills Elimination might have been the exception since goalies actually fared pretty well, the overall skills competition wasn’t a great night for netminders. (Just ask Tim Thomas.)
In other words, there were a lot of great goals (and adorable miniature nets!). Evgeny Dadonov took a few tries to get it right, but provided an impressive goal in the first shootout event. Martin St. Louis scored twice with his back turned to the net, providing some spellbinding moves. Corey Perry didn’t score a goal but dazzled with a lacrosse-style bit of hand eye coordination.
Ultimately, though, we decided to go with Alex Ovechkin, whose unusual goal earned him a fan-voted victory in the breakaway challenge. Sure, Marc-Andre Fleury didn’t provide much resistance, but it’s still a fun clip to watch.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)