Jan 30, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
While the SuperSkills Elimination might have been the exception since goalies actually fared pretty well, the overall skills competition wasn’t a great night for netminders. (Just ask Tim Thomas.)
In other words, there were a lot of great goals (and adorable miniature nets!). Evgeny Dadonov took a few tries to get it right, but provided an impressive goal in the first shootout event. Martin St. Louis scored twice with his back turned to the net, providing some spellbinding moves. Corey Perry didn’t score a goal but dazzled with a lacrosse-style bit of hand eye coordination.
Ultimately, though, we decided to go with Alex Ovechkin, whose unusual goal earned him a fan-voted victory in the breakaway challenge. Sure, Marc-Andre Fleury didn’t provide much resistance, but it’s still a fun clip to watch.
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 7
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 16
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 35
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 20
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)