Jan 30, 2011, 9:00 AM EST
The 2011 NHL All-Star Game hasn’t begun yet, but this weekend’s buildup already created some embarrassing moments. Luckily all three All-Stars handled those moments with some good humor, whether the effects were out of their hands or self imposed.
In the first video, you’ll see the squirm-inducing moment in which Toronto Maple Leafs forward Phil Kessel went last in the Friday Fantasy Draft. He actually went second to last in the PHT Mock Draft, so these results aren’t that stunning. To be fair to Kessel, Erik Karlsson may have been the last pick if there weren’t requirements for drafting goalies and defensemen earlier.
Tim Thomas is one of the best personalities of all the league’s goalies, which even is apparent in the way he plays the game. It’s good that he has a great sense of humor because he took an amusing spill during the fastest skater competition, which you can see in the second video.
The final clip captures the hockey stick difficulties faced by Alex Ovechkin, who handled it with humor and confusion.
Kessel as Mr. Irrelevant:
Ovechkin’s hardest shot problems:
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)