Jan 30, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
The 2011 NHL All-Star Game hasn’t begun yet, but this weekend’s buildup already created some embarrassing moments. Luckily all three All-Stars handled those moments with some good humor, whether the effects were out of their hands or self imposed.
In the first video, you’ll see the squirm-inducing moment in which Toronto Maple Leafs forward Phil Kessel went last in the Friday Fantasy Draft. He actually went second to last in the PHT Mock Draft, so these results aren’t that stunning. To be fair to Kessel, Erik Karlsson may have been the last pick if there weren’t requirements for drafting goalies and defensemen earlier.
Tim Thomas is one of the best personalities of all the league’s goalies, which even is apparent in the way he plays the game. It’s good that he has a great sense of humor because he took an amusing spill during the fastest skater competition, which you can see in the second video.
The final clip captures the hockey stick difficulties faced by Alex Ovechkin, who handled it with humor and confusion.
Kessel as Mr. Irrelevant:
Ovechkin’s hardest shot problems:
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 43
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)