Jan 29, 2011, 1:05 PM EDT
Taking a walk around downtown Raleigh yesterday, you can’t help but notice how much this city is going bonkers over the All-Star Game. Every light post has a banner, every hotel is recognizing the game in some fashion, and there’s hockey-themed everything all over town and in every bar and restaurant.
Some fans throw insults towards the Hurricanes for being a southern hockey team, but if one was to judge the city and the fans based on this weekend alone, you’d have a hard time thinking this place is anything but a hockey town. Raleigh loves the Hurricanes and with good reason too. They’ve got a fine corps of young players and a team that despite missing the playoffs in three of the last four seasons, the fans adore this team. Being rewarded with the All-Star Weekend is being willingly accepted by the city.
As for how things look around here… Here’s a few photos from around the Raleigh Convention Center which is hosting the NHL Fan Fair and hosted the NHL All-Star Fantasy Draft last night. If you’ve got a distinct fear of mascots, you might want to hide under a blanket. (You can click on any of the photos to see them in huge, grand glory)
The main thing to take note of inside the Fan Fair was the set up they had for the All-Star Fantasy Draft.
While rolling through there, it was interesting to note the assigned seating they had for the players.
Ovechkin sitting next to Fleury? Well all right then.
Upon walking into the Raleigh Convention Center, I was immediately greeted by a cavalcade of furry, welcoming NHL friends. Here we’ve got Louie from the St. Louis Blues and Fin the Whale from Vancouver.
The other amusing and potentially really wallet-punishing part of the Fan Fair comes from the folks selling memorabilia. You’ve got all the traditional stuff from pucks to cards to jerseys all autographed, but it’s the random stuff I’m more interested in and I very nearly made a rash purchase.
Tell me you’ve never seen Wayne Gretzky look more dapper than with a bright red umbrella on his head.
We’ll have more sights from around RBC Center today as the true tailgating begins in earnest. We’ve always been told that no one does tailgating right the way the Hurricanes fans do. We’ll see how things shake out today and tomorrow.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 28
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 23
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)