2011 NHL SuperSkills results: Zdeno Chara breaks his own record with 105.9 mph slapper in hardest shot contest
Jan 29, 2011, 9:27 PM EDT
No one should forget about Al Iafrate’s astounding ability to unleash a slap shot … and many won’t thanks in large part because of his astounding balding mullet. (Some call it a skullet.) Yet Zdeno Chara’s brooding presence is re-writing the hardest shot record books, as he broke his own record with an absurd 105.9 mile per hour slap shot to win the hardest shot competition.
Here are the full results from the contest. I’m listing best speeds only for the sake of simplicity.
Brent Burns: (98.4 mph) beats David Backes: (96.9 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Rookie match: Tyler Seguin (95.7 mph) beats Cam Fowler (93.7 mph). One point for Team Staal.
Shea Weber (104.8 mph) beats Zdeno Chara (104.1 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Dustin Byfuglien (101.3 mph, 102.4 mph) beats Rick Nash (91.4 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Steven Stamkos (101.9 mph) beats Alex Ovechkin (98.2 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Zdeno Chara (105.9 mph – new record!) beats Shea Weber (103.4 mph). Two points for Team Staal.
Both sides tie 4-4 in this round, leaving Team Staal up 25-15 over Team Lidstrom.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5