2011 NHL SuperSkills results: Zdeno Chara breaks his own record with 105.9 mph slapper in hardest shot contest
Jan 29, 2011, 9:27 PM EST
No one should forget about Al Iafrate’s astounding ability to unleash a slap shot … and many won’t thanks in large part because of his astounding balding mullet. (Some call it a skullet.) Yet Zdeno Chara’s brooding presence is re-writing the hardest shot record books, as he broke his own record with an absurd 105.9 mile per hour slap shot to win the hardest shot competition.
Here are the full results from the contest. I’m listing best speeds only for the sake of simplicity.
Brent Burns: (98.4 mph) beats David Backes: (96.9 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Rookie match: Tyler Seguin (95.7 mph) beats Cam Fowler (93.7 mph). One point for Team Staal.
Shea Weber (104.8 mph) beats Zdeno Chara (104.1 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Dustin Byfuglien (101.3 mph, 102.4 mph) beats Rick Nash (91.4 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Steven Stamkos (101.9 mph) beats Alex Ovechkin (98.2 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Zdeno Chara (105.9 mph – new record!) beats Shea Weber (103.4 mph). Two points for Team Staal.
Both sides tie 4-4 in this round, leaving Team Staal up 25-15 over Team Lidstrom.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11