2011 NHL SuperSkills results: Zdeno Chara breaks his own record with 105.9 mph slapper in hardest shot contest
Jan 29, 2011, 9:27 PM EDT
No one should forget about Al Iafrate’s astounding ability to unleash a slap shot … and many won’t thanks in large part because of his astounding balding mullet. (Some call it a skullet.) Yet Zdeno Chara’s brooding presence is re-writing the hardest shot record books, as he broke his own record with an absurd 105.9 mile per hour slap shot to win the hardest shot competition.
Here are the full results from the contest. I’m listing best speeds only for the sake of simplicity.
Brent Burns: (98.4 mph) beats David Backes: (96.9 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Rookie match: Tyler Seguin (95.7 mph) beats Cam Fowler (93.7 mph). One point for Team Staal.
Shea Weber (104.8 mph) beats Zdeno Chara (104.1 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Dustin Byfuglien (101.3 mph, 102.4 mph) beats Rick Nash (91.4 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Steven Stamkos (101.9 mph) beats Alex Ovechkin (98.2 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Zdeno Chara (105.9 mph – new record!) beats Shea Weber (103.4 mph). Two points for Team Staal.
Both sides tie 4-4 in this round, leaving Team Staal up 25-15 over Team Lidstrom.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (80)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)