2011 NHL SuperSkills results: Zdeno Chara breaks his own record with 105.9 mph slapper in hardest shot contest
Jan 29, 2011, 9:27 PM EST
No one should forget about Al Iafrate’s astounding ability to unleash a slap shot … and many won’t thanks in large part because of his astounding balding mullet. (Some call it a skullet.) Yet Zdeno Chara’s brooding presence is re-writing the hardest shot record books, as he broke his own record with an absurd 105.9 mile per hour slap shot to win the hardest shot competition.
Here are the full results from the contest. I’m listing best speeds only for the sake of simplicity.
Brent Burns: (98.4 mph) beats David Backes: (96.9 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Rookie match: Tyler Seguin (95.7 mph) beats Cam Fowler (93.7 mph). One point for Team Staal.
Shea Weber (104.8 mph) beats Zdeno Chara (104.1 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Dustin Byfuglien (101.3 mph, 102.4 mph) beats Rick Nash (91.4 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Steven Stamkos (101.9 mph) beats Alex Ovechkin (98.2 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Zdeno Chara (105.9 mph – new record!) beats Shea Weber (103.4 mph). Two points for Team Staal.
Both sides tie 4-4 in this round, leaving Team Staal up 25-15 over Team Lidstrom.
- Luongo leaves game, Panthers in bind with Montoya also hurt 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)