2011 NHL SuperSkills results: Zdeno Chara breaks his own record with 105.9 mph slapper in hardest shot contest
Jan 29, 2011, 9:27 PM EDT
No one should forget about Al Iafrate’s astounding ability to unleash a slap shot … and many won’t thanks in large part because of his astounding balding mullet. (Some call it a skullet.) Yet Zdeno Chara’s brooding presence is re-writing the hardest shot record books, as he broke his own record with an absurd 105.9 mile per hour slap shot to win the hardest shot competition.
Here are the full results from the contest. I’m listing best speeds only for the sake of simplicity.
Brent Burns: (98.4 mph) beats David Backes: (96.9 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Rookie match: Tyler Seguin (95.7 mph) beats Cam Fowler (93.7 mph). One point for Team Staal.
Shea Weber (104.8 mph) beats Zdeno Chara (104.1 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Dustin Byfuglien (101.3 mph, 102.4 mph) beats Rick Nash (91.4 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Steven Stamkos (101.9 mph) beats Alex Ovechkin (98.2 mph). One point for Team Lidstrom.
Zdeno Chara (105.9 mph – new record!) beats Shea Weber (103.4 mph). Two points for Team Staal.
Both sides tie 4-4 in this round, leaving Team Staal up 25-15 over Team Lidstrom.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 23
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)