Jan 29, 2011, 8:10 PM EST
It’s the NHL’s version of the slam dunk contest and Alex Ovechkin won the vote of the NHL fans to take home the Breakaway Challenge championship for the third time. This time around, Ovechkin used a from-the-knees shot done like a pool cue poke home past Marc-Andre Fleury.
Stealing the show tonight with their attempts were Corey Perry with his lacrosse-like puck-on-blade handling to try and beat Fleury as well as Montreal’s P.K. Subban who won the support of the crowd by donning Jeff Skinner‘s jersey for his attempts. Fleury kept things lively during all the attempts by doing spins and push-ups before the skaters would approach the net. After seeing 24/7 we can only imagine what Fleury might’ve been saying to them as they approached.
Team Staal took a 12-2 lead after two events thanks to Ovechkin’s victory.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 67
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (67)