Jan 29, 2011, 8:10 PM EDT
It’s the NHL’s version of the slam dunk contest and Alex Ovechkin won the vote of the NHL fans to take home the Breakaway Challenge championship for the third time. This time around, Ovechkin used a from-the-knees shot done like a pool cue poke home past Marc-Andre Fleury.
Stealing the show tonight with their attempts were Corey Perry with his lacrosse-like puck-on-blade handling to try and beat Fleury as well as Montreal’s P.K. Subban who won the support of the crowd by donning Jeff Skinner‘s jersey for his attempts. Fleury kept things lively during all the attempts by doing spins and push-ups before the skaters would approach the net. After seeing 24/7 we can only imagine what Fleury might’ve been saying to them as they approached.
Team Staal took a 12-2 lead after two events thanks to Ovechkin’s victory.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)