Jan 29, 2011, 8:10 PM EDT
It’s the NHL’s version of the slam dunk contest and Alex Ovechkin won the vote of the NHL fans to take home the Breakaway Challenge championship for the third time. This time around, Ovechkin used a from-the-knees shot done like a pool cue poke home past Marc-Andre Fleury.
Stealing the show tonight with their attempts were Corey Perry with his lacrosse-like puck-on-blade handling to try and beat Fleury as well as Montreal’s P.K. Subban who won the support of the crowd by donning Jeff Skinner‘s jersey for his attempts. Fleury kept things lively during all the attempts by doing spins and push-ups before the skaters would approach the net. After seeing 24/7 we can only imagine what Fleury might’ve been saying to them as they approached.
Team Staal took a 12-2 lead after two events thanks to Ovechkin’s victory.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)