Jan 28, 2011, 1:09 PM EDT
Joseph Robb got off lightly for disrupting a Toronto Maple Leafs game with his waffle-throwing antics, but the biggest punishment he’ll face won’t be the measly five hours of community service. (Joe found this interesting bit of “photographic evidence” of waffle tossing via the Toronto Star.)
Nope, chances are that Robb is most upset that he will still be banned from Leafs games (and other events at venues owned by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment).
The self proclaimed diehard fan fears that the “notice of trespass” won’t be lifted even after he completes his community service. Perhaps the team will decide to relinquish such a ban if they get enough negative attention, but he’s actions did mess with a game in progress, after all.
The Toronto Star reports that he was originally asked to sign a peace bond and cover 30 hours of community service, but Robb said he refused because he is Scottish. Or something.
“They wanted me to do over 30 hours of community service and they wanted me to sign a peace bond and other stuff. I refused,” said Robb, 31. “My parents are proud people, Scottish people. And they just always told me, no matter what I do, I should always stick up for myself and back what you’re doing and don’t stand down.”
The Crown agreed to drop the charge on the basis that Robb do five hours of community service, Robb’s pro bono lawyer, John Weingust, told the Star.
Robb was under the impression Thursday that as long as he did the community service, a ban on him going to Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment venues, including the ACC, would also be dropped.
But his lawyer said the “notice of trespass” Robb was served with is still intact. “There’s no specific period of time” and if Robb went to the ACC he could be charged with trespassing, although Weingust suspects the venue’s management “might think twice about it now.”
Although he claims that he’ll donate the proceeds to charity once he covers his costs, Robb is reportedly selling “Waffle Nation” for $20 a pop now. (His T-shirts might or might not be the same as this post’s main image, as he’s wearing a slightly different one in the Toronto Star story.) He might lose his right to attend Toronto games, but don’t think he will forget about this* easily.
* – Yes, I was tempted to write “don’t think he’ll waffle” easily.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39