Jan 28, 2011, 5:47 PM EDT
Peter Laviolette and Joel Quenneville will coach against each other as the hockey world watches once again, only this time the stakes are much lower.
A coin-flip decided the coaches for the 2011 NHL All-Star Game this weekend. Quenneville of the Chicago Blackhawks will coach Team Staal while Alain Vigneault of the Vancouver Canucks and Laviolette of the Philadelphia Flyers will coach Team Lidstrom.
Quenneville received an invite to the game because he was the coach of the Stanley Cup winning Blackhawks. Vigneault and Laviolette were invited because they coach the top teams in the Western and Eastern Conference, respectively.
We predicted that Team Lidstrom would have a lot of Blackhawks since Patrick Kane is one of their alternate captains, but now Quenneville might be whispering in Eric Staal‘s ear to add ‘Hawks as well.
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 1
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 33
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 67
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte