Jan 28, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT
It’s silly to make any bold proclamations about tonight’s Fantasy Draft, especially considering the fact that it’s about fun above all else. There also might be a bit of one-upping, as the two sides try to turn the screws on each other.
Still, it might be fun to guess who might pick whom, even if we’re proven wildly wrong. So here are a few things to consider.
Alternate captains: Martin St. Louis and Patrick Kane for Team Lidstrom; Ryan Kesler and Mike Green for Team Staal
St. Louis will push for Steven Stamkos and possibly former teammate Brad Richard. Kane will push for Chicago Blackhawks Jonathan Toews, Duncan Keith and Patrick Sharp (maybe former ‘Hawk Dustin Byfuglien too).
Meanwhile Kesler will push for the Sedin twins while both Kesler and Kane are equally likely to pull for Americans. Green will push for Alex Ovechkin.
It would be surprising, then, to see Stamkos on Team Staal and Ovechkin on Team Lidstrom, but you never know.
I think splitting the Sedins might come down to timing (or just how much the two sides are conspiring to split them up). Fellow Swede Lidstrom might manage to snap them up while Staal is satisfying teammates Cam Ward and Jeff Skinner along with his brother Marc. Unless there’s some draft time shenanigans with that as well, of course. We shall see.
Again, Lidstrom will lean toward Swedes in specific and Europeans in general. Kesler will likely want the handful of Americans but will be canceled out by Kane in that regard. Green might want more Canadians, but so will Eric Staal and St. Louis.
If Staal and Lidstrom call most of the shots, both sides will feature an interesting disparity between Europeans and North Americans as well as Eastern Conference players vs. West. Then again, Lidstrom might lean toward drafting defense and goalies before Staal does.
So what is the takeaway? Well, we don’t really know what is going to happen, but it should be fun to watch.
Kudos to the NHL for coming up with this interesting wrinkle.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)