Jan 28, 2011, 3:34 PM EST
Last night, we discussed the fact that the Philadelphia Flyers placed large defenseman Matt Walker (and his $1.7 million salary cap hit) on waivers in hopes of opening up room for another forward. CSN Philly’s Sarah Baicker reports that the team got their wish as the hulking blueliner cleared waivers Friday morning.
Baicker reports that this will open up about $3.6 million in cap space for the Flyers.
As we noted on Thursday, rumors abound that Philly wants to add rugged Carolina Hurricanes forward Erik Cole if the team becomes sellers during the trade deadline. Baicker points out another interesting possibility, though: perhaps the team might want to lock up pending unrestricted free agent Ville Leino?
Actually, they could achieve both goals. Cole’s $2.9 million cap hit expires after this season, so the Flyers could rent him (or someone like him) for a playoff run and then simply move that money over to Leino. Whatever happens, the team now has some desirable flexibility to make an extra move or two to put them over the top.
If the Flyers need to bring back Walker, he would need to clear re-entry waivers. So this might be the last time Philly will see of him at the NHL level this season. Then again, considering his rampant injury problems this year, they didn’t exactly see much of him to begin with.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)