Jan 28, 2011, 3:34 PM EST
Last night, we discussed the fact that the Philadelphia Flyers placed large defenseman Matt Walker (and his $1.7 million salary cap hit) on waivers in hopes of opening up room for another forward. CSN Philly’s Sarah Baicker reports that the team got their wish as the hulking blueliner cleared waivers Friday morning.
Baicker reports that this will open up about $3.6 million in cap space for the Flyers.
As we noted on Thursday, rumors abound that Philly wants to add rugged Carolina Hurricanes forward Erik Cole if the team becomes sellers during the trade deadline. Baicker points out another interesting possibility, though: perhaps the team might want to lock up pending unrestricted free agent Ville Leino?
Actually, they could achieve both goals. Cole’s $2.9 million cap hit expires after this season, so the Flyers could rent him (or someone like him) for a playoff run and then simply move that money over to Leino. Whatever happens, the team now has some desirable flexibility to make an extra move or two to put them over the top.
If the Flyers need to bring back Walker, he would need to clear re-entry waivers. So this might be the last time Philly will see of him at the NHL level this season. Then again, considering his rampant injury problems this year, they didn’t exactly see much of him to begin with.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)