Jan 28, 2011, 3:34 PM EST
Last night, we discussed the fact that the Philadelphia Flyers placed large defenseman Matt Walker (and his $1.7 million salary cap hit) on waivers in hopes of opening up room for another forward. CSN Philly’s Sarah Baicker reports that the team got their wish as the hulking blueliner cleared waivers Friday morning.
Baicker reports that this will open up about $3.6 million in cap space for the Flyers.
As we noted on Thursday, rumors abound that Philly wants to add rugged Carolina Hurricanes forward Erik Cole if the team becomes sellers during the trade deadline. Baicker points out another interesting possibility, though: perhaps the team might want to lock up pending unrestricted free agent Ville Leino?
Actually, they could achieve both goals. Cole’s $2.9 million cap hit expires after this season, so the Flyers could rent him (or someone like him) for a playoff run and then simply move that money over to Leino. Whatever happens, the team now has some desirable flexibility to make an extra move or two to put them over the top.
If the Flyers need to bring back Walker, he would need to clear re-entry waivers. So this might be the last time Philly will see of him at the NHL level this season. Then again, considering his rampant injury problems this year, they didn’t exactly see much of him to begin with.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)