Jan 28, 2011, 5:03 PM EDT
The 2011 NHL All-Star Game isn’t going to be just unique for what happens during the All-Star Fantasy Draft tonight nor for the new format, it also marks a promotional first for the All-Star Game.
The All-Star Game is the first event to get cross-channel promotion across the new NBCUniversal. If you missed out on the news, Comcast purchased NBC and has put all the different channels and networks under one roof and with that, the All-Star Game is receiving broad promotion across the new NBCUniversal which has 20 channels and 40 websites that make up the NBCUniversal family. The game is slated to air at 4:00 p.m. ET on Versus.
These kinds of pushes aren’t unique as they’ve been done before to promote major events like the Olympics, NFL Kickoff, movie premieres, and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Theme Park in Orlando.
With the NHL and its mid-season gathering of all the game’s greatest players getting the honor of being the first event to get this treatment under the banner of the new NBCUniversal, it’s getting some significant attention.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 11
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 20
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 31
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)