Jan 28, 2011, 5:03 PM EST
The 2011 NHL All-Star Game isn’t going to be just unique for what happens during the All-Star Fantasy Draft tonight nor for the new format, it also marks a promotional first for the All-Star Game.
The All-Star Game is the first event to get cross-channel promotion across the new NBCUniversal. If you missed out on the news, Comcast purchased NBC and has put all the different channels and networks under one roof and with that, the All-Star Game is receiving broad promotion across the new NBCUniversal which has 20 channels and 40 websites that make up the NBCUniversal family. The game is slated to air at 4:00 p.m. ET on Versus.
These kinds of pushes aren’t unique as they’ve been done before to promote major events like the Olympics, NFL Kickoff, movie premieres, and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Theme Park in Orlando.
With the NHL and its mid-season gathering of all the game’s greatest players getting the honor of being the first event to get this treatment under the banner of the new NBCUniversal, it’s getting some significant attention.
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 6
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 10
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 14
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 35
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 34
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)