Jan 28, 2011, 5:03 PM EDT
The 2011 NHL All-Star Game isn’t going to be just unique for what happens during the All-Star Fantasy Draft tonight nor for the new format, it also marks a promotional first for the All-Star Game.
The All-Star Game is the first event to get cross-channel promotion across the new NBCUniversal. If you missed out on the news, Comcast purchased NBC and has put all the different channels and networks under one roof and with that, the All-Star Game is receiving broad promotion across the new NBCUniversal which has 20 channels and 40 websites that make up the NBCUniversal family. The game is slated to air at 4:00 p.m. ET on Versus.
These kinds of pushes aren’t unique as they’ve been done before to promote major events like the Olympics, NFL Kickoff, movie premieres, and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Theme Park in Orlando.
With the NHL and its mid-season gathering of all the game’s greatest players getting the honor of being the first event to get this treatment under the banner of the new NBCUniversal, it’s getting some significant attention.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40