Jan 27, 2011, 6:12 PM EDT
With the Islanders struggling but winger Matt Moulson continuing to flourish alongside franchise center John Tavares, speculation began picking up about the Islanders possibly trading the impending unrestricted free agent at the trade deadline. All of that talk can be put away for now as the Islanders have signed Moulson to a three-year extension worth $9.4 million.
Moulson was a 30-goal scorer last season and he’s got 17 goals so far this season with the Isles. Since joining New York after being let go by the L.A. Kings, Moulson’s flourished with the ice time he’s gotten in New York. The Cornell University graduate has honed his skills and become John Tavares’ most consistent linemate.
For Moulson, ending the speculation that was just starting to ramp up about whether or not he’d be a factor come trade deadline day on February 28 is huge for him. After establishing himself with the Islanders it seemed clear that he was happy making his home there and he wants to help the Islanders make their way out of the basement. As daunting as that seems, the Isles are happy to have a player there that wants to be there and do what he can to help the situation. That’s virtually priceless all things considered.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)