Jan 27, 2011, 6:12 PM EDT
With the Islanders struggling but winger Matt Moulson continuing to flourish alongside franchise center John Tavares, speculation began picking up about the Islanders possibly trading the impending unrestricted free agent at the trade deadline. All of that talk can be put away for now as the Islanders have signed Moulson to a three-year extension worth $9.4 million.
Moulson was a 30-goal scorer last season and he’s got 17 goals so far this season with the Isles. Since joining New York after being let go by the L.A. Kings, Moulson’s flourished with the ice time he’s gotten in New York. The Cornell University graduate has honed his skills and become John Tavares’ most consistent linemate.
For Moulson, ending the speculation that was just starting to ramp up about whether or not he’d be a factor come trade deadline day on February 28 is huge for him. After establishing himself with the Islanders it seemed clear that he was happy making his home there and he wants to help the Islanders make their way out of the basement. As daunting as that seems, the Isles are happy to have a player there that wants to be there and do what he can to help the situation. That’s virtually priceless all things considered.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)