Jan 27, 2011, 6:12 PM EDT
With the Islanders struggling but winger Matt Moulson continuing to flourish alongside franchise center John Tavares, speculation began picking up about the Islanders possibly trading the impending unrestricted free agent at the trade deadline. All of that talk can be put away for now as the Islanders have signed Moulson to a three-year extension worth $9.4 million.
Moulson was a 30-goal scorer last season and he’s got 17 goals so far this season with the Isles. Since joining New York after being let go by the L.A. Kings, Moulson’s flourished with the ice time he’s gotten in New York. The Cornell University graduate has honed his skills and become John Tavares’ most consistent linemate.
For Moulson, ending the speculation that was just starting to ramp up about whether or not he’d be a factor come trade deadline day on February 28 is huge for him. After establishing himself with the Islanders it seemed clear that he was happy making his home there and he wants to help the Islanders make their way out of the basement. As daunting as that seems, the Isles are happy to have a player there that wants to be there and do what he can to help the situation. That’s virtually priceless all things considered.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires