Jan 27, 2011, 6:12 PM EST
With the Islanders struggling but winger Matt Moulson continuing to flourish alongside franchise center John Tavares, speculation began picking up about the Islanders possibly trading the impending unrestricted free agent at the trade deadline. All of that talk can be put away for now as the Islanders have signed Moulson to a three-year extension worth $9.4 million.
Moulson was a 30-goal scorer last season and he’s got 17 goals so far this season with the Isles. Since joining New York after being let go by the L.A. Kings, Moulson’s flourished with the ice time he’s gotten in New York. The Cornell University graduate has honed his skills and become John Tavares’ most consistent linemate.
For Moulson, ending the speculation that was just starting to ramp up about whether or not he’d be a factor come trade deadline day on February 28 is huge for him. After establishing himself with the Islanders it seemed clear that he was happy making his home there and he wants to help the Islanders make their way out of the basement. As daunting as that seems, the Isles are happy to have a player there that wants to be there and do what he can to help the situation. That’s virtually priceless all things considered.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)