Jan 27, 2011, 9:54 PM EST
As Joe noted, Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alex Edler will undergo back surgery soon. Tony Gallagher of the Vancouver Province caught up with his expected surgeon Dr. Marcel Dvorak, who said that he’s likely to miss 8-10 weeks.
It’s unclear if the injury will force Edler to miss any playoff time, as that window just about covers the rest of the regular season (and maybe a bit more). Gallagher also notes that Dvorak is the same doctor who operated on Daniel Sedin during the summer of 2001.
Edler’s injury adds an interesting wrinkle to the Canucks’ tight salary cap situation with injured defenseman Sami Salo. His cap hit is nearly identical ($3.25 million for Edler; $3.5 million for Salo), so in a strange way Edler’s injury might come at the same time. Of course, his eventual return could open up a new bag of worms and Salo could become injured again at any time, so don’t look at this as a “solution.”
Naturally, we’ll keep you updated on this situation as it develops.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)