Jan 27, 2011, 9:54 PM EST
As Joe noted, Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alex Edler will undergo back surgery soon. Tony Gallagher of the Vancouver Province caught up with his expected surgeon Dr. Marcel Dvorak, who said that he’s likely to miss 8-10 weeks.
It’s unclear if the injury will force Edler to miss any playoff time, as that window just about covers the rest of the regular season (and maybe a bit more). Gallagher also notes that Dvorak is the same doctor who operated on Daniel Sedin during the summer of 2001.
Edler’s injury adds an interesting wrinkle to the Canucks’ tight salary cap situation with injured defenseman Sami Salo. His cap hit is nearly identical ($3.25 million for Edler; $3.5 million for Salo), so in a strange way Edler’s injury might come at the same time. Of course, his eventual return could open up a new bag of worms and Salo could become injured again at any time, so don’t look at this as a “solution.”
Naturally, we’ll keep you updated on this situation as it develops.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 51
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (51)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)