Jan 27, 2011, 9:54 PM EST
As Joe noted, Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alex Edler will undergo back surgery soon. Tony Gallagher of the Vancouver Province caught up with his expected surgeon Dr. Marcel Dvorak, who said that he’s likely to miss 8-10 weeks.
It’s unclear if the injury will force Edler to miss any playoff time, as that window just about covers the rest of the regular season (and maybe a bit more). Gallagher also notes that Dvorak is the same doctor who operated on Daniel Sedin during the summer of 2001.
Edler’s injury adds an interesting wrinkle to the Canucks’ tight salary cap situation with injured defenseman Sami Salo. His cap hit is nearly identical ($3.25 million for Edler; $3.5 million for Salo), so in a strange way Edler’s injury might come at the same time. Of course, his eventual return could open up a new bag of worms and Salo could become injured again at any time, so don’t look at this as a “solution.”
Naturally, we’ll keep you updated on this situation as it develops.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)