Jan 27, 2011, 8:23 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers already boast one of the deepest forward corps in the entire NHL, but rumor has it that the team hopes to clear some space for one more useful player.
CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reports that the Flyers placed hulking but expendable defenseman Matt Walker on waivers today in hopes that they can sneak him (and his $1.7 million) under the cap. Panaccio also writes that he’s making that space in hopes that they can trade for someone like Carolina Hurricanes power forward Erik Cole.
Cole is in the last year of a contract that includes a $3 million salary and $2.9 million cap hit. On first glance it seems like the Flyers wouldn’t have enough room – even with Walker off the cap – but Panaccio writes that they would open up about $3.6 million in space.
If Walker clears waivers, another $1.7 million will come off the Flyers salary cap, effectively giving them about $3.6 million in cap space. This move seems to also serve another purpose.
The NHL trade deadline is Feb. 28.
Sources say, if the Carolina Hurricanes, who have gotten themselves back into the playoff picture, decide to become “sellers” instead of “buyers” at the deadline, the Flyers would take a shot at trading for Erik Cole.
Cole, these sources said, sits among the top of the Flyers’ wish list.
The trade deadline rumors should start swirling, especially after this weekend, so we’ll keep you up to date regarding the ones with at least some substance.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)