Jan 27, 2011, 8:23 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers already boast one of the deepest forward corps in the entire NHL, but rumor has it that the team hopes to clear some space for one more useful player.
CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reports that the Flyers placed hulking but expendable defenseman Matt Walker on waivers today in hopes that they can sneak him (and his $1.7 million) under the cap. Panaccio also writes that he’s making that space in hopes that they can trade for someone like Carolina Hurricanes power forward Erik Cole.
Cole is in the last year of a contract that includes a $3 million salary and $2.9 million cap hit. On first glance it seems like the Flyers wouldn’t have enough room – even with Walker off the cap – but Panaccio writes that they would open up about $3.6 million in space.
If Walker clears waivers, another $1.7 million will come off the Flyers salary cap, effectively giving them about $3.6 million in cap space. This move seems to also serve another purpose.
The NHL trade deadline is Feb. 28.
Sources say, if the Carolina Hurricanes, who have gotten themselves back into the playoff picture, decide to become “sellers” instead of “buyers” at the deadline, the Flyers would take a shot at trading for Erik Cole.
Cole, these sources said, sits among the top of the Flyers’ wish list.
The trade deadline rumors should start swirling, especially after this weekend, so we’ll keep you up to date regarding the ones with at least some substance.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 4
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 6
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39