Jan 27, 2011, 8:23 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers already boast one of the deepest forward corps in the entire NHL, but rumor has it that the team hopes to clear some space for one more useful player.
CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reports that the Flyers placed hulking but expendable defenseman Matt Walker on waivers today in hopes that they can sneak him (and his $1.7 million) under the cap. Panaccio also writes that he’s making that space in hopes that they can trade for someone like Carolina Hurricanes power forward Erik Cole.
Cole is in the last year of a contract that includes a $3 million salary and $2.9 million cap hit. On first glance it seems like the Flyers wouldn’t have enough room – even with Walker off the cap – but Panaccio writes that they would open up about $3.6 million in space.
If Walker clears waivers, another $1.7 million will come off the Flyers salary cap, effectively giving them about $3.6 million in cap space. This move seems to also serve another purpose.
The NHL trade deadline is Feb. 28.
Sources say, if the Carolina Hurricanes, who have gotten themselves back into the playoff picture, decide to become “sellers” instead of “buyers” at the deadline, the Flyers would take a shot at trading for Erik Cole.
Cole, these sources said, sits among the top of the Flyers’ wish list.
The trade deadline rumors should start swirling, especially after this weekend, so we’ll keep you up to date regarding the ones with at least some substance.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)