Jan 27, 2011, 8:23 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers already boast one of the deepest forward corps in the entire NHL, but rumor has it that the team hopes to clear some space for one more useful player.
CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reports that the Flyers placed hulking but expendable defenseman Matt Walker on waivers today in hopes that they can sneak him (and his $1.7 million) under the cap. Panaccio also writes that he’s making that space in hopes that they can trade for someone like Carolina Hurricanes power forward Erik Cole.
Cole is in the last year of a contract that includes a $3 million salary and $2.9 million cap hit. On first glance it seems like the Flyers wouldn’t have enough room – even with Walker off the cap – but Panaccio writes that they would open up about $3.6 million in space.
If Walker clears waivers, another $1.7 million will come off the Flyers salary cap, effectively giving them about $3.6 million in cap space. This move seems to also serve another purpose.
The NHL trade deadline is Feb. 28.
Sources say, if the Carolina Hurricanes, who have gotten themselves back into the playoff picture, decide to become “sellers” instead of “buyers” at the deadline, the Flyers would take a shot at trading for Erik Cole.
Cole, these sources said, sits among the top of the Flyers’ wish list.
The trade deadline rumors should start swirling, especially after this weekend, so we’ll keep you up to date regarding the ones with at least some substance.
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)