Jan 27, 2011, 8:52 PM EST
This is not a repeat: the Calgary Flames placed mediocre winger Ales Kotalik on waivers today. This marks the second time they placed him on waivers, as the team made him available to all 29 other teams last summer but found no takers.
Other teams have until 10 a.m. Friday morning to scoop up Kotalik, whose $3 million annual salary cap hit runs through the 2011-12 season.
It’s tough to imagine any team taking the Flames up on this offer. Kotalik was known for being a one-dimensional player to begin with, but he hasn’t even been scoring much lately. The winger only has three goals and zero assists in 20 games while averaging only 12:26 minutes on ice this season.
NHL general managers are full of surprises, but barring a really shocking change of heart among team builders, the Flames are likely stuck with Kotalik. Unless he becomes the problem of their AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Heat, instead.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 4
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 72
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (72)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)