Jan 27, 2011, 8:52 PM EDT
This is not a repeat: the Calgary Flames placed mediocre winger Ales Kotalik on waivers today. This marks the second time they placed him on waivers, as the team made him available to all 29 other teams last summer but found no takers.
Other teams have until 10 a.m. Friday morning to scoop up Kotalik, whose $3 million annual salary cap hit runs through the 2011-12 season.
It’s tough to imagine any team taking the Flames up on this offer. Kotalik was known for being a one-dimensional player to begin with, but he hasn’t even been scoring much lately. The winger only has three goals and zero assists in 20 games while averaging only 12:26 minutes on ice this season.
NHL general managers are full of surprises, but barring a really shocking change of heart among team builders, the Flames are likely stuck with Kotalik. Unless he becomes the problem of their AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Heat, instead.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 8
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 44
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (44)