Jan 27, 2011, 12:58 PM EDT
The Canucks will be without an underrated and important part of their defensive corps for an undetermined amount of time. Alexander Edler is going on the shelf for some time as he’s going in to get micro disectomy surgery on his back putting him out of the lineup indefinitely. Edler missed last night’s game against Nashville leading to Lee Sweatt becoming the hero of the night in the Canucks 2-1 win.
If you’re not familiar with Edler’s work this season on the blue line, perhaps it’s time to get acquainted with it. Edler leads all Vancouver defensemen in: goals, assists, points, and time on ice. While he doesn’t get the publicity usually given to such performers, the Canucks are very much going to miss his presence on the ice.
Somewhat conveniently, Vancouver is hoping to have Sami Salo back soon. While he’s a good defenseman, relying on him to stay healthy is a risky proposition as he’s been out all season with an Achilles tendon injury. The Canucks have had their share of annoying injuries along the blue line this season with Salo, Dan Hamhuis, and Keith Ballard all seeing time on the shelf. They’ve been able to withstand previous injuries but Edler’s absence will be a true test. As for how long he’ll be out, the team won’t know until after surgery is completed. An extended absence would put a dent in the team’s depth and really put the pressure on Christian Ehrhoff and Kevin Bieksa to keep their solid play up the rest of the way.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)