Jan 27, 2011, 12:58 PM EDT
The Canucks will be without an underrated and important part of their defensive corps for an undetermined amount of time. Alexander Edler is going on the shelf for some time as he’s going in to get micro disectomy surgery on his back putting him out of the lineup indefinitely. Edler missed last night’s game against Nashville leading to Lee Sweatt becoming the hero of the night in the Canucks 2-1 win.
If you’re not familiar with Edler’s work this season on the blue line, perhaps it’s time to get acquainted with it. Edler leads all Vancouver defensemen in: goals, assists, points, and time on ice. While he doesn’t get the publicity usually given to such performers, the Canucks are very much going to miss his presence on the ice.
Somewhat conveniently, Vancouver is hoping to have Sami Salo back soon. While he’s a good defenseman, relying on him to stay healthy is a risky proposition as he’s been out all season with an Achilles tendon injury. The Canucks have had their share of annoying injuries along the blue line this season with Salo, Dan Hamhuis, and Keith Ballard all seeing time on the shelf. They’ve been able to withstand previous injuries but Edler’s absence will be a true test. As for how long he’ll be out, the team won’t know until after surgery is completed. An extended absence would put a dent in the team’s depth and really put the pressure on Christian Ehrhoff and Kevin Bieksa to keep their solid play up the rest of the way.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires