Jan 26, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT
As Joe pointed out this morning, “The Great One” turned 50 today.
What can be said about Wayne Gretzky that hasn’t already been written in countless mediums? Most agree that he is the greatest hockey player to ever lace up skates, but even those who would point to Bobby Orr or some other luminary would agree that he made the greatest impact. Gretzky was to hockey what the Beatles were to the British invasion and Michael Jordan was to the NBA.
When it comes to a player who provided more assists alone than any other hockey player scored points, earned nine Hart Trophies and four Stanley Cups (among other awards), it’s difficult to succinctly summarize such a career in video form. So instead of trying to provide a video-based synopsis, we’ll instead share some of our favorite moments.
(NHL.com has more if this doesn’t satisfy your Gretzky cravings.)
Gretzky becomes the all-time points leader (watch him break the goals record here.)
Gretzky becomes the fastest to 50 goals:
The Gretzky trade:
And because we’re about to enter All-Star weekend, his four-goal performance in the ’83 game:
- WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 23
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 36
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 111
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79