Jan 26, 2011, 2:50 PM EST
As Joe pointed out this morning, “The Great One” turned 50 today.
What can be said about Wayne Gretzky that hasn’t already been written in countless mediums? Most agree that he is the greatest hockey player to ever lace up skates, but even those who would point to Bobby Orr or some other luminary would agree that he made the greatest impact. Gretzky was to hockey what the Beatles were to the British invasion and Michael Jordan was to the NBA.
When it comes to a player who provided more assists alone than any other hockey player scored points, earned nine Hart Trophies and four Stanley Cups (among other awards), it’s difficult to succinctly summarize such a career in video form. So instead of trying to provide a video-based synopsis, we’ll instead share some of our favorite moments.
(NHL.com has more if this doesn’t satisfy your Gretzky cravings.)
Gretzky becomes the all-time points leader (watch him break the goals record here.)
Gretzky becomes the fastest to 50 goals:
The Gretzky trade:
And because we’re about to enter All-Star weekend, his four-goal performance in the ’83 game:
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)