Jan 26, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT
As Joe pointed out this morning, “The Great One” turned 50 today.
What can be said about Wayne Gretzky that hasn’t already been written in countless mediums? Most agree that he is the greatest hockey player to ever lace up skates, but even those who would point to Bobby Orr or some other luminary would agree that he made the greatest impact. Gretzky was to hockey what the Beatles were to the British invasion and Michael Jordan was to the NBA.
When it comes to a player who provided more assists alone than any other hockey player scored points, earned nine Hart Trophies and four Stanley Cups (among other awards), it’s difficult to succinctly summarize such a career in video form. So instead of trying to provide a video-based synopsis, we’ll instead share some of our favorite moments.
(NHL.com has more if this doesn’t satisfy your Gretzky cravings.)
Gretzky becomes the all-time points leader (watch him break the goals record here.)
Gretzky becomes the fastest to 50 goals:
The Gretzky trade:
And because we’re about to enter All-Star weekend, his four-goal performance in the ’83 game:
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5