Jan 26, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT
As Joe pointed out this morning, “The Great One” turned 50 today.
What can be said about Wayne Gretzky that hasn’t already been written in countless mediums? Most agree that he is the greatest hockey player to ever lace up skates, but even those who would point to Bobby Orr or some other luminary would agree that he made the greatest impact. Gretzky was to hockey what the Beatles were to the British invasion and Michael Jordan was to the NBA.
When it comes to a player who provided more assists alone than any other hockey player scored points, earned nine Hart Trophies and four Stanley Cups (among other awards), it’s difficult to succinctly summarize such a career in video form. So instead of trying to provide a video-based synopsis, we’ll instead share some of our favorite moments.
(NHL.com has more if this doesn’t satisfy your Gretzky cravings.)
Gretzky becomes the all-time points leader (watch him break the goals record here.)
Gretzky becomes the fastest to 50 goals:
The Gretzky trade:
And because we’re about to enter All-Star weekend, his four-goal performance in the ’83 game:
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 51
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)