Jan 26, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT
As Joe pointed out this morning, “The Great One” turned 50 today.
What can be said about Wayne Gretzky that hasn’t already been written in countless mediums? Most agree that he is the greatest hockey player to ever lace up skates, but even those who would point to Bobby Orr or some other luminary would agree that he made the greatest impact. Gretzky was to hockey what the Beatles were to the British invasion and Michael Jordan was to the NBA.
When it comes to a player who provided more assists alone than any other hockey player scored points, earned nine Hart Trophies and four Stanley Cups (among other awards), it’s difficult to succinctly summarize such a career in video form. So instead of trying to provide a video-based synopsis, we’ll instead share some of our favorite moments.
(NHL.com has more if this doesn’t satisfy your Gretzky cravings.)
Gretzky becomes the all-time points leader (watch him break the goals record here.)
Gretzky becomes the fastest to 50 goals:
The Gretzky trade:
And because we’re about to enter All-Star weekend, his four-goal performance in the ’83 game:
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)