Jan 26, 2011, 11:13 PM EDT
The Thrashers are in a bit of a fight to hang on to the eighth spot in the Eastern Conference, but tonight Ondrej Pavelec put the team on his back and carried them to victory over the division rivals from Washington. Pavelec made 36 saves in earning his third shutout of the season and stymied a frustrated Capitals offense yet again, although this time it wasn’t due to lack of effort.
Nik Antropov scored the only goal of the game in the middle of the second period beating Semyon Varlamov who also had a stellar game in the loss. Varlamov stopped 23 shots on the night and did just about everything he could to help the Caps win. You can’t ask for much more than giving up just one goal, especially with the Caps offense, but on this night he was out-dueled by the fantastic Pavelec.
Atlanta now stays ahead of Carolina in the Eastern Conference with the win as the Hurricanes also won tonight against the Islanders. As these teams now break for the All-Star weekend, the Thrashers will be sending just Dustin Byfuglien to Raleigh for the weekend’s events while the Capitals send Alex Ovechkin and Mike Green.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 10
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 18
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)