Jan 26, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
Yet if you ask Vancouver Province writer/fun-killer Tony Gallagher, splitting up the Sedins would be a “dumb idea.”
Gallagher’s reasoning is steeped in the cold logic: Carolina Hurricanes fans rarely get the chance to witness the odd synchronicity displayed by the Sedin twins. Gallagher points out the fact that the Canucks rarely appear on Versus and they only play against Carolina once every year, appearing in Raleigh itself once every two years.
The Canucks never appear on Versus or NBC, so unless you are a big enough fan to pay your satellite or cable provider for the NHL package, the only time you ever see the twins is every year when the Canes play the Canucks. Fans see them live once every two years. And even if you invest in the package, they start 47 of their 82 games after 10 p.m. in the evening.
With few enough attractions to make this game worth watching in the first place, now you’re going to turn the magic of the twins into exactly what everyone else brings to the game, which is to say you’re going to make the twins just be two ordinary good players like everyone else. It makes no sense for the fan paying the big ticket price.
I find it hard to believe that fans would be beaten up by the idea of splitting up the twins. After all, would you rather see something that happens all season long (the Sedins twins playing together) or something that never happens (the Sedins squaring off against each other)? Something tells me the novelty factor is very valuable, especially during an event as novel and leisurely as the All-Star Game.
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 6
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 8
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 16
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 27
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 19
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 61
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)