Jan 26, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
Yet if you ask Vancouver Province writer/fun-killer Tony Gallagher, splitting up the Sedins would be a “dumb idea.”
Gallagher’s reasoning is steeped in the cold logic: Carolina Hurricanes fans rarely get the chance to witness the odd synchronicity displayed by the Sedin twins. Gallagher points out the fact that the Canucks rarely appear on Versus and they only play against Carolina once every year, appearing in Raleigh itself once every two years.
The Canucks never appear on Versus or NBC, so unless you are a big enough fan to pay your satellite or cable provider for the NHL package, the only time you ever see the twins is every year when the Canes play the Canucks. Fans see them live once every two years. And even if you invest in the package, they start 47 of their 82 games after 10 p.m. in the evening.
With few enough attractions to make this game worth watching in the first place, now you’re going to turn the magic of the twins into exactly what everyone else brings to the game, which is to say you’re going to make the twins just be two ordinary good players like everyone else. It makes no sense for the fan paying the big ticket price.
I find it hard to believe that fans would be beaten up by the idea of splitting up the twins. After all, would you rather see something that happens all season long (the Sedins twins playing together) or something that never happens (the Sedins squaring off against each other)? Something tells me the novelty factor is very valuable, especially during an event as novel and leisurely as the All-Star Game.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)